System Programmer - Senior
Morgan 6, LLC Charleston, SC
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Morgan 6 is looking for a Senior System Programmer to join our team. In a mainframe IT organization, the system programmer (or systems programmer) plays a central role. The system programmer installs, customizes, and maintains the operating system, and also installs or upgrades products that run on the system. The system programmer might be presented with the latest version of the operating system to upgrade the existing systems. Or, the installation might be as simple as upgrading a single program, such as a sort application. System programmer for a mainframe is similar to a Unix system administrator (SA), to include equivalent of shell scripting. We are looking for a very specialized Bull mainframe OS skillset (different from IBM) to reverse engineer requirements, not to enhance or maintain mainframe itself.
If you have the background and experience, APPLY NOW!
The system programmer performs such tasks as the following:
• Planning hardware and software system upgrades and changes in configuration
• Training system operators and application programmers
• Automating operations
• Running installation jobs and scripts
• Performing installation-specific customization tasks
• Integration-testing the new products with existing applications and user procedures
• System-wide performance tuning to meet required levels of service
The system programmer must be skilled at debugging problems with system software. These problems are often captured in a copy of the computer's memory contents called a dump , which the system produces in response to a failing software product, user job, or transaction. Armed with a dump and specialized debugging tools, the system programmer can determine where the components have failed. When the error has occurred in a software product, the system programmer works directly with the software vendor's support representatives to discover whether the problem's cause is known and whether a patch is available.
System programmers are needed to install and maintain the middleware on the mainframe, such as database management systems, online transaction processing systems and Web servers. Middleware is a software "layer" between the operating system and the end user or end user application. It supplies major functions that are not provided by the operating system. Major middleware products such as IMS / IDS2 can be as complex as the operating system itself, if not more so.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, Green Card, or Dual Citizenship
- Must be able to obtain a Public Trust Clearance
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, electronics engineering or other engineering or technical discipline is required.
- 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- 8 years of related experience required.
This position is contingent upon budget, and/or customer approval.
About Morgan 6, LLC:
Morgan 6 is an established, award-winning, service-disabled veteran owned business providing information technology and professional management services to the federal government. Our corporate growth has coincided with our investment in our employees as well as in outreach to our civilian and military community. We are a fast-growing leader in the government contracting field and just made the Inc. 5000 list. Our mission is to expertly apply state-of-the-art technology in order to make Warrior's lives better.
Powered by JazzHR
Morgan 6, LLC
TechnologyView all jobs at Morgan 6, LLC