Moon Valley Nurseries is looking for a Service Mechanic that will be service all company equipment, and vehicles.
- Have a Valid NV license
- Clean driving record, will operate company truck
- Travel is primarily local (designated locations) during business hours, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be necessary.
- Must be able to pass a physical and drug screen.
The Service Mechanic is responsible for maintaining, troubleshooting, repairing, and providing preventive maintenance service on a variety of complex equipment, machines, and vehicles involving mechanical, hydraulics, diesel, pneumatic and electrical systems, etc., at designated MVN stores and farms. This position also determines parts needs, order parts, maintains a safe work area, obeys safety rules, and ensures compliance with DOT vehicle maintenance standards and company policies.
This position assists in maintaining an accurate schedule and record of maintenance, keeps current on all applicable rental equipment features and applications, and may assist in familiarizing and training MVN staff on new equipment and vehicles. The Service Mechanic conducts daily service triage activities; communicates and interacts in a cooperative, positive and professional manner with store and farm staff; participates in quality process improvements that focus on asset protection, regular servicing and employee safety (with all exceptions documented and assigned to the proper parties); assures that warranties are followed and redeemed; and assures that all issues relating to waste, misuse, or accidents, or any other equipment use exceptions are reported.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing tasks as required to maintain MVN vehicles and motorized equipment in a safe, cost effective, and efficient manner.
- Conducts machine setup, troubleshooting, repairs and preventive maintenance service.
- Provides emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and performs scheduled maintenance repairs of production equipment during machine service.
- Prepares and sets up machinery for scheduled production runs.
- Performs mechanic skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic troubleshooting and repair of production machines.
- Reading and interpreting manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
- Assuring compliance with OSHA safety and health rules.
- Assuring service logs are updated and accurate.
- Performing diagnoses, rebuilds and repairs to company vehicles and equipment.
- Performing inspections and preventive maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
- Preparing and maintaining service records and reports.
- Acting as lead person in supervisor’s absence.
- Reviewing service schedules for all yard equipment and delivery trucks.
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Three+ years experience in vehicle, construction equipment, mechanical, hydraulic, diesel, pneumatic and electrical diagnostics and repairs.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment, farm implements, and like equipment necessary.
- Experience with acetylene and electric arc welding highly desired.
Job title Service Mechanic
- Certifications and/or training through manufacturer training courses a plus (specifically Bobcat, Case, Kubota, Deere & ASE).
- Experience in a agriculture, construction, nursery, landscaping, or related environment a plus.
- Able to read instructions, numbers and write legibly in English.
- Able to complete mandated safety training within 10 days of hire.
- Able to follow supervisor’s instructions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Aptitude in trouble-shooting, decision-making and problem solving.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Strong time management, attention to detail organizational skills and follow through.
- Owns equipment and tools utilized for engine and motor repairs and rebuilds.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
High school diploma or GED diploma, or one to three months’ related experience and/or training (or equivalent knowledge gained through formal education, specialized training, or additional job experience)
Physical requirements/Working conditions
While performing the duties of this job, this position will be frequently exposed to a hot environment with fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
About Us Moon Valley Nurseries is the largest grower of box trees and palms in North America, and is an industry leader and high growth company that offers competitive salaries with exceptional employee benefits including medical insurance, 401(k), holidays, and PTO to all eligible employees. We are an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company’s policy is not to unlawfully discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories. We are a Drug Free Workplace