- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Location: Montreat, NC
Start Date: ASAP
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Summary: The Controller role is a key member of Montreat College’s finance office, overseeing day-to-day management of the accounting operation and ensuring the general ledger is complete, accurate and timely.
A qualified candidate will have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and affirm and support the vision, mission, statement of faith, and community life covenant of Montreat College.
· Adapts to College expectations for timeliness, responsiveness, accuracy, service quality, thoroughness, and sense of urgency.
· Asks questions to ensure clarity and makes recommendations.
· Leverages technical to increase efficiency.
· Seeks to develop others through involvement in challenging work.
· Takes initiative to help staff and other College members get up to speed on resources and practices.
· Collaborates and interacts with individuals and other departments in a variety of situations; successfully adapts to differences in work styles and needs.
· Effectively manages and prioritizes workload of self/staff to meet deadlines.
· Provides frequent feedback to staff related to job performance and overall expectations.
· Ensure proper implementation of and compliance with all applicable Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Generally Accepted Auditing Standards and Government Auditing Standards.
· Evaluate internal control and management practices, recommend improvements, and perform internal control audits as necessary.
· Maintain and interpret accounting records for all general ledger accounts.
· Maintain banking relationships including day-to-day activity, cash flow management and the approval of routine cash transfers and wires.
· Manage and integrate financial transactions from other campus software into the College’s general ledger.
· Perform or oversee periodic processes within the department, including month/year-end closing process, daily posting of all journal entries, cash receipts, cash disbursements, reconciling cash to bank statements, Title IV compliance reconciliations, other general ledger account reconciliations, keeping weekly cash flow report updated and preparing other reports upon request.
· Managing or assisting Assistant Vice President with updating the chart of accounts, managing audit of financial statements, preparation of tax return (Form 990) and all other external reporting requirements.
· Create various analyses as requested and communicate their results as directed.
· Assist with sharing financial information to department heads monthly.
· Participate in campus events and committee activities.
· Monthly bank, investment, and other balance sheet accounts reconciliations.
· Enter or post journal entries as needed for office staff.
· Assist accounts payable with vendor setup and invoice processing and entry into Bill.com and Jenzabar, as needed
· Call vendors and gather information for setup in Bill.com and Jenzabar.
· Prepare and maintain Business Office files and other reports as requested
· Creating and updating Policies & Procedures within Finance area
· Review and post student account transactions and assist with check printing (until fully automated)
· Manage, track and invoice customers/grantors monthly and record in Jenzabar (possibly implement Bill.com for invoicing).
· Assist Vice President of Finance with grant accounting and reporting.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Strong knowledge of GAAP and not-for-profit industry best practices
· Demonstrates ability to create complex formulas in MS Excel; create queries in software applications.
· Quickly learns and achieves proficiency in new software applications as needed
· Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
· Effective communication skills both internally and externally facing
Education and Experience:
· 5+ years of experience in public accounting, audit, corporate or non-profit accounting roles
· Licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
· Management and leadership experience
Normal office working conditions and hours with extended work hours as needed, including evenings and weekends. Works under limited supervision of the Vice President of Finance and Administration. Uses own judgment to plan work and make decisions. Works largely independently following general policies, procedures and guidelines.
Supervision: Reports to Assistant Vice President of Finance
Application Requirements/How to Apply:
Begin with application form found under this specific position listing at https://www.montreat.edu/about/job-openings/
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Candidates must send the following materials separately:
1) Complete Application https://www.montreat.edu/about/job-openings/application/
3) Statement of Faith
5) List of Three References with Contact Information
Send Materials by email to:
Assistant VP of Finance
About Montreat College:
Montreat College is a Christian liberal arts college accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to offer masters, bachelors, and associates degrees. The main campus is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains fifteen miles east of Asheville, North Carolina, a region recognized as one of the most attractive living environments in the United States. Additional locations in Asheville, Charlotte, and Morganton supplement the main campus. The College is committed to Christ-centered teaching and learning, and is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities.
310 Gaither CircleMontreat, NC
Finance and Insurance
Get fresh Assistant Controller Part Time jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.