Job Title: FOOD SERVICE AGENT/WORKER I
Reports to: Food Service Coordinator, Site Supervisor, Program Director, Administrator
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
General Job Description Summary
FOOD SERVICE WORKER
Under the direction of a Food Service Supervisor, Site Supervisor and Program Director, perform a variety of duties related to food preparation and food service following all mandatory Federal and State guidelines pertaining to the CACFP (Child and Adult Care Food Program); maintain food service facilities and service environments in a clean and sanitary condition.
For positions with hours that exceed 4 or 6 hours/day for food program responsibilities only, motivation and dedication to assist teaching staff in the classroom as a teacher assistant or aide to perform a series of tasks to assist teachers to manage classroom activities and general classroom preparation work.
The food service worker classification is the mid-level class of the series. Incumbents perform a variety of duties to conduct and execute the daily food preparation and food service operations at an assigned school facility.
Assist in the preparation of a wide variety of food items including meats, main dishes, baked goods and sandwiches. Some of the duties are as follows:
1. Following all required CACFP guidelines for the preparation and service of daily meals to children, wash, slice and prepare fruits and vegetables; grate cheese; slice meats; prepare fruit cups, etc., and other food both processed and non-processed as necessary to serve meals to children based on the family style method.
2. Set up serving areas and steam tables; serve food to students and faculty in indoor or outdoor environments timely and well prepared.
3. Count trays, milk and other food items as assigned.
4. Conduct point-of-service documentation for each meal based on applicable guidelines for the Family-style method of meal service. Engage in conversation.
5. Maintain work areas in a clean and sanitary condition; facilities include classroom and kitchen environments; wash and scour tables; clean kitchen utensils and equipment. Sweep floors around and under meal service areas in classrooms including mopping if necessary; kitchen floors, counters, cabinets, refrigerators, sink and all other surfaces and appliances.
6. Perform cashiering duties as needed.
7. Kitchen: Kitchen areas such as counters, floors, sink to be washed, cleaned and sanitized. Floors should be swept, cleaned and mopped in advance of janitor when necessary. Refrigerators are to be organized and cleaned. Food supply cabinets to be organized and kept orderly.
8. Weekly Inventories: Weekly inventories must be documented and filed in 3-ring binders/organizers. Inventories must be done weekly to determine quantities of food stocks served and that restocked items with expiration dates are checked to maintain freshness of stored food items. Inventories are also necessary to determine how much additional supplies are need to be ordered in the current week such that excessive quantities of food are not ordered and that ordered quantities are based on the weekly menu, inventories, attendance, and quantities required.
9. Maintaining Food Temperatures for freshness: Maintain daily temperature logs using thermometers to ensure guidelines are met. Federal guidelines must be followed when maintaining freshness and temperatures of stored and prepared food items prior to serving.
10. All food serving dishes, plates, cups and utensils must be washed and sanitized after each meal. Clean and sanitize kitchen counters, floors and sink after serving each meal. Refrigerators must be cleaned and sanitized as needed and organized weekly. Food supply cabinets must be kept clean and organized weekly.
11. Prepare personal activity reports to log what type of work was done during each shift and have it approved by the supervisor.
12. Operate a variety of standard kitchen equipment including oven, slicer, mixer and others. Perform related duties as assigned.
13. On extended work schedules following food service worker duties, assist teaching staff with their daily and/or routine tasks/responsibilities under the guidance of a teacher. These may include preparatory work, cleaning and arranging work and play areas, interacting with children, assistance in routine care and cleanliness of children and other routine activities. The right candidate will show willingness and dedication to providing the necessary services and care to children and follow instructions of a lead teacher or teacher in charge.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
Sanitation and safety practices related to cooking and serving food (ref. CACFP program regs.)
Standard kitchen equipment, utensils and measurements.
Methods of preparing and serving food in large quantiles.
Record-keeping techniques, documentation as required per CACFP guidelines.
Basic math skills.
Basic food preparation including washing, cutting, and assembling food and ingredients.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Health and safety regulations pertaining to food service (ref., CACFP regulations and guidelines)
OTHER NOTEWORTHY CHARACTERISTICS:
Complete work with many interruptions.
Meet schedules and time lines.
Understand and follow oral and written directions.
Work cooperatively and effectively with others.
Operate a variety of kitchen appliances.
Follow sanitary and safety standards required in food handling (refer to CACFP guidelines).
Move objects weighing over 50 lbs. using safe and proper methods and equipment.
High School Diploma. Good communication skills in English both vocal and written and basic math operations are required. Sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities stated above. 6 units or more in Early Childhood Education or Child Development units are a benefit.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
Must be able to lift and/or move 25-50 lb boxes, stand, walk, bend without strain or hesitation. Often required to stand and sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, bend or squat. Kitchen and cafeteria environment; subject to standing for long periods; heat from ovens in some cases.
WORK HOURS: Average 6-8 hrs./day. Food Program service.
PAY RATE: $11/hr. Food Program service
By signing below, I acknowledge and understand the duties and responsibilities and requirements of the position mentioned first above. I understand that I’m responsible to perform the duties as stated above and any future responsibilities unstated above that may pertain to my job as required by CACFP, either now or in the future.
Employee Name Date
Supervisor/Program Director Name Date
We are seeking a Food Service Worker to become an integral part of our team! You will take orders and serve food to patrons at the dining establishment.
- Serve food and beverages to guests
- Explain to guests about menu items
- Clean and prepare the dining areas
- Greet and make all guests feel welcome at the restaurant
- Respond to guest inquiries and requests in a timely fashion
- Perform other restaurant duties as assigned
- Previous experience in customer service, food service, or other related fields
- Ability to build rapport with guests
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Montessori Association of Covina
Why Work Here?We are a Montessori based agency that provides Infant through Kindergarten educational and child care services to children and families in the San Gabriel Valley since 1982. We have preschool sites in Pomona, Hacienda Heights, Azusa, Baldwin Park and El Monte. We are also hiring for new sites being developed in greater Los Angeles areas, Compton and Van Nuys. We provide private (fee-paying) and subsidized programs funded by the Department of Education/Child Development Division via State Preschool. We have a combined government grant which offers subsidized preschool program services to families in the communities we serve that qualify for the program. This funding required Title V regulations to be followed when enrolling families. Our preschool program follows the Montessori Philosophy and Reggio approach to education which offers classrooms that are rich in diversity, materials and experiences.
Awesome CEO, great benefits with amazing opportunities for growth!