- Posted: over a month ago
As an early mover planning to offer key in-space transportation and infrastructure services, Momentus is at the forefront of the commercialization of space. With an experienced team of aerospace, propulsion, and robotics engineers, Momentus has developed a cost-effective and energy-efficient in-space transport system based on plasma water propulsion technology.
Daring problems require daring solutions. We boldly charge into uncharted territory knowing that no matter the outcome we will benefit from the journey and move closer to our goals no matter what. Our teams know that working at Momentus means more than building innovative technology, it means creating entirely new markets in the space economy. We are level-headed, business-minded strategic thinkers intent on providing immediate value to our customers today while simultaneously preparing for the vast possibilities of the future. If this sounds like you, we should talk.
The Mechanical Engineer will participate in the mechanical, structural, and thermal design of flight spacecraft and will follow programs through execution of assembly, integration, and test. The ideal candidate should be accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment and quickly adapting to new challenges.
- Mechanical design of spacecraft components including primary structure, support structure, brackets, electronics enclosures, bulkheads, wire harness, and more.
- Routing of plumbing lines for propellant feed system and thrusters.
- Work with structural analysts to ensure structural integrity of the spacecraft and all components during all phases of launch.
- Work with thermal analysts to ensure all components are maintained within acceptable temperature limits.
- Conduct mechanical testing of systems and components including vibration testing, static load testing, and shock testing.
- May be asked to support TVAC testing on an as-needed basis.
Required Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated experience with detail design of mechanical hardware.
- Experience defining requirements for mechanical systems and components.
- Familiarity with the space environment and how it affects mechanical hardware.
- Familiarity with material selection and material coatings for space applications.
- General understanding of spacecraft structural loads (quasi-static loads, random vibration, shock, thermo-mechanical)
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent technical communications skills.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience designing, manufacturing, and testing space hardware with demonstrated on-orbit success.
- Experience running structural vibration testing.
- Experience running TVAC tests.
- Structural and/or thermal analysis experience.
Education & Work Experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Mechanics
- 5+ years relevant experience.
This is a full-time position in San Jose, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3) is required
Momentus is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Momentus is also an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, creed, national origin, veteran status, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: Momentus does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employees or any company email. Momentus will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Momentus Space LLC
AddressSan Jose, CA
ManufacturingView all jobs at Momentus Space LLC