Thermal Mechanical Engineer
Modern Electron Bothell, WA
- Posted: over a month ago
Modern Electron has an immediate opening for a Thermal Mechanical Engineer to support new product development. In this role, you will work closely with an internal team and external development partners and contractors to develop product designs that meet performance, cost, and schedule specifications. You will perform conceptual design and thermal and mechanical analysis (system modeling as well as FEA/CFD); prepare design sketches and CAD models; select materials; and develop system, subsystem, and module specifications following the principles of system engineering.
Modern Electron is a start-up company dedicated to generating affordable, modular, and reliable electricity for all. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate the majority of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace them with compact heat-to-electricity generators. >$40MM venture capital is committed to our vision. We have enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
- Perform thermal and mechanical design and verification of functional systems, subsystems, and modules
- Perform first-order hand calculations and CFD/FEA to model component and subsystem performance, including mechanical stress analysis, flow and heat transfer analysis, steady-state and transient analysis, etc.
- Perform tolerance analysis as required to ensure intended assembly performance
- Design experiments, conduct laboratory testing and utilize lab and field test data to verify designs against requirements and validate analytical models
- Interface closely with multidisciplinary experimental and computational teammates to iterate on designs and validate models
- Construct and conduct parametric trade-off/optimization studies and communicate results to teammates and leadership
- Play a role in the evaluation, design, and analysis of next-generation designs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or similar
- 7+ years of mechanical engineering experience in an industrial and/or commercial environment
- 3+ years experience in the design and analysis of high-temperature/combustion-related thermal systems
- Deep understanding of heat transfer (conduction, convection, and radiation) and mechanics and strength of materials
- Experience with compact heat exchangers / heat transfer in small volumes, e.g. for electronics cooling, aerospace, and microturbines
- Experience with high temperature materials and applications above 1000C
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with thermal FEA and CFD using analysis tools such as ANSYS Workbench
- Hands-on experience with lab testing: design of experiments, test plan development, test stand design, instrumentation, parts ordering and fabrication
- Experience utilizing laboratory and field test data to validate models
- New Product Development and Introduction (NPD/NPI) experience, preferably in home heating appliances such as furnaces, boilers and water heaters
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Impeccable written and verbal communication
- Ability and enthusiasm to work as part of a highly collaborative, dynamic, and diverse team
- Master's Degree with 10+ years of industry experience
- Exposure to Design For Six Sigma and robust design techniques
- Understanding of manufacturing processes used to produce mechanical hardware products and/or experience with DFM/DFA
- Hands-on experience using CAD tools (SolidWorks preferred) in the creation of complex mechanical models, mechanical drawings, and assembly drawings
- Familiarity with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and its application toward the creation of fabrication drawings for mechanical parts
- Hands-on experience with Engineering Document Management software
- Python programming experience
- Experience designing home heating products and appliances (boilers, water heaters, furnaces)
- Experience working in a startup environment
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Powered by JazzHR
ManufacturingView all jobs at Modern Electron