U.S. Forest Service Recreation Resource Assistant Intern - Spring 2021
MobilizeGreen Pittsburgh, PA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Join Us. Do work that matters:
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen offers internship opportunities for college students (graduating before April 12, 2021), graduate students, and recent graduates. The Resource Assistants Program (RAP) provides flexible internship placements based in National Forests across the US for those interested in Forest Service careers. Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. The RAP was designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers.
Each MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant starts their journey with a weeklong orientation, where they will meet other RAs and Forest Service staff from across the country and engage in skill building and career development activities. Once an RA arrives at their host site, they are supervised and mentored by a variety of Forest Service staff, engaging with experts from business, conservation, and science backgrounds, and learning more about careers as they work on vital projects within the Forest Service. Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service, keeping the door open for exciting career opportunities with their host site, or with any of the 154 national forests across the country. MobilizeGreen will enhance your career opportunities, introduce you to key leaders in the natural resource field, and engage you on your career journey to a job with the Forest Service.
Position Abstract: The Recreation Resource Assistant (RA) will work within the recreation program on the Eagle-Holy Cross and Dillon Districts. They will support the full array of recreation management including developed, dispersed, front country, OHV, trails, and wilderness management. They will support the data collection for any and all GAOA funded projects via database input, photo recording, and documentation of these deferred maintenance and capital improvement projects.
Work Environment: The intern will travel in the front and backcountry working independently and in teams. They will perform field and office work. They will drive a FS vehicle and will need to navigate FS gravel/high clearance roads. The intern would most likely work a combination of weekdays and weekends. The intern would be expected to make public contacts, wear a FS uniform, and represent the agency in a professional manner.
Location: The duty station is located in Minturn, CO. Minturn is a high elevation mountain town with an amazing soul. The EHX District is home to two ski resorts, over 600 miles of trail, hundreds of miles of forest roads, 10 campgrounds, rivers, lakes, and even a few 14'er to climb. The Eagle Valley has a full array of amenities including music, shopping, churches, health care, breweries, restaurants, libraries, etc. We are located along the I-70 corridor, this connection allows for easy access east to Denver or west to Grand Junction and the deserts of Utah.
Host Unit: White River National Forest, Eagle-Holy Cross & Dillon Ranger Districts
Duty Station: PO Box 190, 24747 US Hwy 24, Minturn, CO 81645
Term: 26 weeks starting May 16, 2021. Full-Time (40 hours per week).
- $500 per week living allowance (stipend)
- $1000 per month housing stipend
- Health insurance (if requested)
- Relocation support and travel allowance
- 2-year Direct Hire Authority certificate with the Forest Service (after completion of the program and 960 hours)
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- Mentorship for career and professional development
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take photos of the GAOA Recreation projects and file them in the appropriate computer system folders.
- Input the data from the GAOA projects into the appropriate INFRA database for each project.
- Draft a Google Slide or PowerPoint presentation representing the GAOA project from beginning through implementation.
- Work amongst as many of the Recreation crews to enhance and expand the interns overall knowledge of the full array of Recreation Program Administration.
- Accompany the Developed crew at the recreation sites, collecting fees, processing fees, and performing key database input for these sites.
- Work with the RMYC crews who will be GAOA funded to work on the trails deferred maintenance work. Spend time working with the crews learning trail techniques so the intern can accurately report the final deferred maintenance performed.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Outdoor Recreation or Natural Resources required.
- Valid driver's license (driving record will be reviewed prior to placement).
- Knowledge or experience with databases to input key information for each project.
- Direct experience working on a team or in a group setting to a positive outcome.
- Direct experience in customer service. We are all public servants and having strong communication skills working both internally and with the public is a must.
- Beginner to intermediate skill level in GIS desired.
- Knowledge of Survey 1, 2, 3 or other tablet type survey systems. (can be trained on the job)
- Experience creating, using and analyzing data via Excel spreadsheets.
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you would be a good match
- 3 references
Job Posted by ApplicantPro