U.S. Forest Service Rangeland Management Specialist Resource Assistant Intern - Spring 2021
MobilizeGreen Corvallis, OR
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Join Us. Do work that matters:
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen offers internship opportunities for college students (graduating before April 12, 2021), graduate students, and recent graduates. The Resource Assistants Program (RAP) provides flexible internship placements based in National Forests across the US for those interested in Forest Service careers. Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. The RAP was designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers.
Each MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant starts their journey with a weeklong orientation, where they will meet other RAs and Forest Service staff from across the country and engage in skill building and career development activities. Once an RA arrives at their host site, they are supervised and mentored by a variety of Forest Service staff, engaging with experts from business, conservation, and science backgrounds, and learning more about careers as they work on vital projects within the Forest Service. Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service, keeping the door open for exciting career opportunities with their host site, or with any of the 154 national forests across the country. MobilizeGreen will enhance your career opportunities, introduce you to key leaders in the natural resource field, and engage you on your career journey to a job with the Forest Service.
Position Abstract: The RA will assist the District Staff Range Management Specialist in managing the district range and invasive programs, and receive on-the-job training in Forest Service programs, partnerships, and management practices.
Work Environment: The RA may be required to travel and work in the backcountry and other remote locations on the forest, independently, and in teams. Fieldwork and administrative work in an office required. Driving on and navigating forest roads and hiking may be required. Requires working throughout the day in high temperatures and exposed to the sun.
Location: The Paonia Ranger District is primarily a recreation and range district with significant mineral potential within the Gunnison National Forest; it has a staff of 12 full time employees and 3-4 seasonal employees that provides management and services with an annual budget of approximately $600,000. Vegetation and topography are typical of higher elevation Rocky Mountains. Elevations on the District range from 8,500 to 12,000 feet. Both the northern and southern portions of the District are dominated by large mesas with gently rolling topography. It is a small, rural agricultural community, and one can obtain the "necessities of life" in the town itself. The climate is exceptional with warm summer temperatures in the 90s, accompanied by a cool breeze. Autumn is crowned with beautiful colors with winter temperatures averaging a low of 24 degrees. The average annual rainfall is about 14 inches and snowfall is about 50 inches. For additional information we suggest contacting the Commerce at P.O. Box 366, Paonia, CO 81428, http://www.paoniachamber.com or (970) 527-3886 for further information regarding the area.
Host Unit: Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forests
Duty Station: Paonia District Office, North Rio Grande Avenue, Paonia, CO 81428
Term: 26-weeks starting April 12, 2021. Full-time (40 hrs/week).
- $500/week living allowance (stipend)
- Housing is provided
- Relocation support and travel allowance
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours completion)
- Health Insurance eligible.
- Mentorship for career and professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- RA will assist with inspections on grazing allotments on the district.
- RA will assist and conduct invasive species surveys and treatments on the district. Treatments include pesticide applications using backpack and utv sprayers.
- Conduct long term trend monitoring of rangelands on the district.
- Will assist with annual accomplishment reporting.
- RA will help maintain the district stock (horses and mules) as well as spray equipment.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Range Management required. Degrees in related disciplines with at least 42 semester hours in a combination of the plant, animal, and soil sciences, and natural resources management, will be considered.
- Valid driver's license is required (driving record will be reviewed prior to placement).
- Previous experience with horses, pack stock, and ATV/UTV.
- Proficiency in plant identification.
- Experience with 4x4 trucks and pulling trailers.
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you would be a good match
- 3 references
Job Posted by ApplicantPro