Join Us. Do work that matters:
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen offers internship opportunities for college students (graduating before April 12, 2021), graduate students, and recent graduates. The Resource Assistants Program (RAP) provides flexible internship placements based in National Forests across the US for those interested in Forest Service careers. Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. The RAP was designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers.
Each MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant starts their journey with a weeklong orientation, where they will meet other RAs and Forest Service staff from across the country and engage in skill building and career development activities. Once an RA arrives at their host site, they are supervised and mentored by a variety of Forest Service staff, engaging with experts from business, conservation, and science backgrounds, and learning more about careers as they work on vital projects within the Forest Service. Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service, keeping the door open for exciting career opportunities with their host site, or with any of the 154 national forests across the country. MobilizeGreen will enhance your career opportunities, introduce you to key leaders in the natural resource field, and engage you on your career journey to a job with the Forest Service.
Position Abstract: The Landscape Architect Resource Assistant (RA) will have the opportunity to work with an experienced team of landscape architects and engineers in the Cherokee National Forest Supervisor's Office to provide project and design support for Forest projects funded by the Great American Outdoors Act. The successful applicant can expect to work on design projects in recreation sites across the Cherokee National Forest, from boat launches, picnic areas and campgrounds to scenic overlooks and trailheads. Work will include, but is not limited to: researching and specifying project components, working with interdisciplinary experts on project development and sideboards, incorporating environmental best practices into redevelopment plans, designing information boards and interpretive signs, developing planting plans, designing restoration plans for historic Civilian Conservation Corps-constructed sites, and being present at construction sites to ensure site furnishings and other design elements are properly located.
Work Environment: The Resource Assistant would be expected to work both in the field and in the office, depending on the type of project. Weather and conditions can vary throughout the year. Driving on and navigating forest roads and hiking may be required. Project locations include both backcountry trails and developed recreation sites accessible by vehicle. Based on COVID-19, there may be periods of isolated telework required, with virtual team meetings.
Location: Located in the Southern Appalachian Mountains of east Tennessee, the Cherokee National Forest (Forest) is approximately 650,000 acres in size making it the largest tract of public land in the state. The Forest adjoins the Chattahoochee, Pisgah, Nantahala, and Jefferson National Forests; two Tennessee State Parks; several Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) controlled rivers and reservoirs, and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). The Cherokee is Tennessee's only National Forest and is located in 10 East Tennessee counties. The Forest is comprised of four ranger districts, two south of GSMNP (South Zone), and two north of the GSMNP (North Zone). Jacobs Creek Job Corps Center is located on the north end of the Forest.
The Supervisor's Office is located in Cleveland, Tennessee, a community of approximately 38,000 people. It is located along Interstate 75 approximately 35 miles north of downtown Chattanooga and 80 miles south of Knoxville. In 2012, Business Week ranked Cleveland, nationally as one of the 50 best places to raise a family based on safety, community and education.
Visit the Cleveland-Bradley Economic Development Council website at http://www.clevelandbradleyedc.com/.
Host Site: Cherokee National Forest - Supervisor's Office
Duty Station: 2800 Ocoee St N, Cleveland, TN 37312
Term: 26 weeks starting April 12, 2021. Full-Time (40 hours per week).
- $700 per week living allowance (stipend)
- $1000 per month housing stipend
- 2-year Direct Hire Authority certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours)
- Health insurance (if requested)
- Relocation support and travel allowance
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- Mentorship for career and professional development
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the general oversight of senior landscape architects and as a member of an interdisciplinary team for recreation projects, visits project sites to collect data on topography and other natural characteristics. Using a variety of computer software such as AutoCAD and GIS, prepares site inventories, analyses and preliminary design concepts.
- Independently researches and compiles project information such as program documents, maps and reports. Prepares preliminary technical reports and design narratives for existing or potential recreation sites for review by senior landscape architects.
- Prepares site development plans, design details and construction specifications for minor recreation sites for review by senior landscape architects. Assists in the development and production of plans, details and specifications for complex recreation sites based on general instructions, notes, or sketches provided by senior landscape architects. This includes writing applicable contract specifications.
- Visits project sites to perform site inventories and collect data for analysis of proposed project activities. Prepares recreation and scenic resource specialist reports following the national environmental planning process for review by senior landscape architects.
- Receives assignments to broaden knowledge of Agency activities in areas such as forestry, fire, recreation, engineering, or business management.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Landscape Architecture.
- Valid driver's license (driving record will be reviewed prior to placement).
- Knowledge of landscape architectural principles and concepts as well as ability to apply these standard practices, methods, and techniques performing environmental planning and design work of a limited scope.
- Knowledge of presentation methods, facilitation, and graphic media techniques used to communicate project information. Project presentations are supported with the use and application of a variety of computer software (AutoCAD, ArcGIS, Adobe Creative Suite and other common design programs.)
- Ability to assist multidisciplinary project teams working with both in-house teams of professionals as well as external teams to accomplish project objectives.
- Skill in expressing thoughts both verbally, graphically and in writing to communicate relevant information and develop reports and plans on technical and environmental planning aspects of work.
- Ability to produce quality products that occasionally are required to be completed within a short time frame or within a tight project schedule to accomplish project objectives, and meet forest targets.
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you would be a good match
- 3 references
Job Posted by ApplicantPro