Join Us. Do work that matters:
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen offers internship opportunities for college students (graduating before April 12, 2021), graduate students, and recent graduates. The Resource Assistants Program (RAP) provides flexible internship placements based in National Forests across the US for those interested in Forest Service careers. Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. The RAP was designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers.
Each MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant starts their journey with a weeklong orientation, where they will meet other RAs and Forest Service staff from across the country and engage in skill building and career development activities. Once an RA arrives at their host site, they are supervised and mentored by a variety of Forest Service staff, engaging with experts from business, conservation, and science backgrounds, and learning more about careers as they work on vital projects within the Forest Service. Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service, keeping the door open for exciting career opportunities with their host site, or with any of the 154 national forests across the country. MobilizeGreen will enhance your career opportunities, introduce you to key leaders in the natural resource field, and engage you on your career journey to a job with the Forest Service.
Position Abstract: The Surveying Resource Assistant (RA) will work with the boundary management staff. The RA will assist with boundary surveying, land line location and maintenance. The work will include record research and assisting with drafting plates. The position will include field and office work.
Work Environment: The RA may be required to travel and work in the backcountry and other remote locations on the forest, independently, and in teams. Fieldwork and administrative work in an office is required. Driving on and navigating forest roads and hiking may be required. Requires working throughout the day in high temperatures and exposed to the sun.
Location: The Ouachita NF is located in west central Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma in the Ouachita mountains. The reporting station is Hot Springs, AR. The office is located across the street from Hot Springs National park. Hiking trails are literally across the street. Hot springs is a tourist destination with an historic downtown, Magic Springs amusement park and mountain biking trails minutes away from the office. Three lakes surround the city with lots of water sports, boating, and fishing. Hot Springs is a full service community with 2 hospitals, community college, a mall, and several shopping plazas.
Host Site: Ouachita National Forest
Duty Station: P.O. Box 1270, Hot Springs, AR 71902
Term: 26 weeks starting April 12, 2021. Full-Time (40 hours per week).
- $500 per week living allowance (stipend)
- $1000 per month housing stipend
- 2-year Direct Hire Authority certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours)
- Health insurance (if requested)
- Relocation support and travel allowance
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- Mentorship for career and professional development
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in boundary location
- Perform boundary line maintenance
- Perform record research
- Assist in boundary surveys
- Oversee boundary surveying contracts
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Land Surveying/Geomatics required
- Valid driver's license required (driving record will be reviewed prior to placement)
- Knowledge of surveying principles (required)
- Experience conducting field work (required)
- Experience with surveying equipment (preferred can be trained on the job)
- Knowledge of boundary surveying methods (required)
- Experience doing record research (preferred can be trained on the job)
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you would be a good match
- 3 references
Job Posted by ApplicantPro