Join Us. Do work that matters:
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen offers internship opportunities for college students (graduating before April 12, 2021), graduate students, and recent graduates. The Resource Assistants Program (RAP) provides flexible internship placements based in National Forests across the US for those interested in Forest Service careers. Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. The RAP was designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers.
Each MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant starts their journey with a weeklong orientation, where they will meet other RAs and Forest Service staff from across the country and engage in skill building and career development activities. Once an RA arrives at their host site, they are supervised and mentored by a variety of Forest Service staff, engaging with experts from business, conservation, and science backgrounds, and learning more about careers as they work on vital projects within the Forest Service. Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service, keeping the door open for exciting career opportunities with their host site, or with any of the 154 national forests across the country. MobilizeGreen will enhance your career opportunities, introduce you to key leaders in the natural resource field, and engage you on your career journey to a job with the Forest Service.
Position Abstract: The Engineering Resource Assistant (RA) will work on the Regional Pavement Management Program along with other transportation related efforts. The RA will coordinate with Regional Program Managers, Forest Engineers and other headquarters staff members on a variety of transportation programs intended to facilitate appropriate asset management.
Work Environment: The RA will primarily be working in an office environment. However, depending on current regional COVID direction, virtual work may be encouraged. Fieldwork will consist of one week training and data collection at forests within the Eastern Region.
Location: The headquarters office for the Eastern Region (R9) is located in downtown Milwaukee, WI. Milwaukee is a medium sized metropolitan area with all the associated activities like libraries, museums, sporting events, dining, concerts, etc. The area has recreational activities year-round, ranging from hiking, biking, picnicking, hunting and fishing to winter skiing and snowmobiling. A public transit system provides access to all parts of the city and county. There are various supermarkets, convenience stores, and specialty stores located within the city and outlying areas.
Host Site: Eastern Regional Office
Duty Station: 626 E. Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee WI 53202
Term: 26 weeks starting April 12, 2021. Full-Time (40 hours per week).
- $500 per week living allowance (stipend)
- $1000 per month housing stipend
- 2-year Direct Hire Authority certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours)
- Health insurance (if requested)
- Relocation support and travel allowance
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- Mentorship for career and professional development
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Update PAVER (Pavement Management System) database information consisting of both spatial and tabular information
- Run cost/benefit scenarios to determine annual maintenance projects will result in the best use of available funding
- Coordinate infrastructure database update efforts with Forest staffs
- Update current Forest-level PAVER databases to reflect on-the-ground inspection information
- Complete other transportation program related tasks, as assigned
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering Technology, Geographic Information Systems, or a related field
- Direct working knowledge of ArcMAP and geospatial principals
- Detail oriented. Experience with database/information management
- Experience with preparing and conducting PowerPoint presentations
- Ability to develop and evaluate various alternatives and provide recommendation based on facts
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you would be a good match
- 3 references