Join Us. Do work that matters:
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen offers internship opportunities for college students (graduating before April 12, 2021), graduate students, and recent graduates. The Resource Assistants Program (RAP) provides flexible internship placements based in National Forests across the US for those interested in Forest Service careers. Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. The RAP was designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers.
Each MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant starts their journey with a weeklong orientation, where they will meet other RAs and Forest Service staff from across the country and engage in skill building and career development activities. Once an RA arrives at their host site, they are supervised and mentored by a variety of Forest Service staff, engaging with experts from business, conservation, and science backgrounds, and learning more about careers as they work on vital projects within the Forest Service. Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service, keeping the door open for exciting career opportunities with their host site, or with any of the 154 national forests across the country. MobilizeGreen will enhance your career opportunities, introduce you to key leaders in the natural resource field, and engage you on your career journey to a job with the Forest Service.
Position Abstract: The position is located within the U.S. Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region (California). The Resource Assistant (RA) will be responsible for the development, coordination, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the volunteer program across the North Zone (Six Rivers, Mendocino, Klamath, Shasta-Trinity, Lassen, Modoc). The ideal candidate should enjoy working with people. The position requires the RA to have excellent written and oral communication skills. The RA will communicate with Forest Service employees on multiple forests as well as regional office staff, volunteers, academic professionals, community partners and state and local government officials. The position requires the RA to be professional, articulate, organized, creative, detailed oriented, and innovative.
Work Environment: The work involves typical office environments that are heated and cooled. There will be field work in outdoor locations working closely with Forest Service staff, partners and individual and group volunteers requiring driving, navigating forest roads and hiking. The RA may be required to travel and work in remote locations including exposure to high and low temperatures as well as sun and snow exposure.
Location: Located in Northern California along the Oregon border, the city of Yreka has a rich history. The city has over 70 houses that were built before the turn of the century, which you can see on the Historic Homes Walking Tour. Yreka also has the Siskiyou County Museum, Ley Station Fire Museum, and historic downtown Miner Street. Attractions ranging from hikes and waterfalls to restaurants and trains that can be explored nearby. Local parks include Newton Park, Discovery Park, the Agate Reservoir County Park, Valley of the Rogue State Park and the Agate Reservoir County Park.
Host Unit:Klamath National Forest Supervisor's Office
Duty Station: 1711 South Main St Yreka, CA 96097
- 52 weeks, startingApril 12, 2021
- Full Time/40 hours per week
- $700 per week living allowance (stipend)
- Housing stipend of $1000 per month
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- Site travel stipend eligible
- 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours completion)
- Health insurance eligible
- Mentorship for career and professional development
- Assist the forest in collaborating with partners and volunteers to develop a strategic approach to the volunteer program including project development, training, skills building and safety.
- Developing and processing simple participating agreements and individual and group volunteer agreements, including risk analysis.
- Performing a detailed analysis of the volunteer program on each forest within the Northern Zone to identify trends, areas of success, program gaps and improvement needs. Includes engaging and surveying forest staff, partners and volunteers, and reviewing forest websites and other public facing media.
- Develop and conduct workshops and webinars for forest staff, partners and volunteers to share information pertinent to the volunteer program.
- Report zone volunteers, service, and conservation education accomplishments, develop briefing papers, gather data to develop annual zone accomplishment reports and develop volunteer best practices and operating procedures.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree required in social sciences or a natural resource related field.
- Valid Driver's License required (driving record will be reviewed prior to placement).
- Direct experience interacting in a public setting or customer service role.
- High level of organizational skills, attention to detail and excellent note taking.
- Skill or ability to communicate orally and in writing, in person and virtually.
- Demonstrated experience or skill with computer programs or software such as: Microsoft Office Suite (word, excel, PowerPoint, publisher, etc.)
- Ability to learn new skills quickly.
- Active listening skills.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively and in a team setting.
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
Instructions to Apply:
Please note, we are only reviewing applications submitted to our General Application, which can be found at This Link.
In order to be considered for the Sub-Regional Volunteer Coordinator Resource Assistant position, please reference Position Code R5.KLA.SUBwhen asked.
APPLY HERE: https://mobilizegreen.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=230&source=aWQ9Mjk%3D
For more information on MobilizeGreen go to:
ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THIS LINK WILL BE REVIEWED. INDEED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.