MobilizeGreen Engineering Technician Resource Assistant - Spring 2021
MobilizeGreen Philadelphia, PA
- Expired: November 03, 2020. Applications are no longer accepted.
Join Us. Do work that matters:
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen offers internship opportunities for college students (graduating before April 12, 2021), graduate students, and recent graduates. The Resource Assistants Program (RAP) provides flexible internship placements based in National Forests across the US for those interested in Forest Service careers. Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. The RAP was designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers.
Each MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant starts their journey with a weeklong orientation, where they will meet other RAs and Forest Service staff from across the country and engage in skill building and career development activities. Once an RA arrives at their host site, they are supervised and mentored by a variety of Forest Service staff, engaging with experts from business, conservation, and science backgrounds, and learning more about careers as they work on vital projects within the Forest Service. Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service, keeping the door open for exciting career opportunities with their host site, or with any of the 154 national forests across the country. MobilizeGreen will enhance your career opportunities, introduce you to key leaders in the natural resource field, and engage you on your career journey to a job with the Forest Service.
Position Abstract: The RA will work in areas of engineering that the Forest does including design, construction and maintenance of roads, trails, campgrounds, and work center facilities. These facilities include water and wastewater systems, HVAC systems, structures and dams. The duties will include office and field work. Field work can include construction inspection or surveying. Office work includes preparing plans and specifications for construction projects.
Work Environment: The RA may be required to travel and work in the backcountry and other remote locations on the forest, independently, and in teams. Fieldwork and administrative work in an office required. Driving on and navigating forest roads and hiking may be required. Requires working throughout the day in high temperatures and exposed to the sun.
Location: The Ouachita NF is located in west central Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma in the Ouachita mountains. The reporting station is Hot Springs, AR. The office is located across the street from Hot Springs National park. Hiking trails are literally across the street. Hot springs is a tourist destination with an historic downtown, Magic Springs amusement park and mountain biking trails minutes away from the office. Three lakes surround the city with lots of water sports, boating, and fishing. Hot Springs is a full service community with 2 hospitals, community college, a mall, and several shopping plazas.
Host Unit: Ouachita National Forest
Duty Station: Supervisor's Office, Hot Springs, AR
- 26-weeks, starting April 12, 2021
- Full Time/40 hours per week
- $500 per week living allowance (stipend)
- $1000 housing stipend
- Health insurance (if requested)
- Relocation support and travel stipend
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours completion)
- Mentorship for career and professional development
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform final review of drawings and exercise judgment in selecting best design layouts.
- Provide technical advice in coordinating detailed site surveys and stake setting.
- Interpret engineering project notes, data, and specifications to prepare design and layout of roads, trails, bridges, drainage structures, and other systems. Conduct field surveys to provide data for civil engineering project designs.
- Prepare sketches, construction details, installation drawings and other technical products to support civil engineering projects and operations.
- Conduct inspections of civil engineering and construction project materials, equipment, construction techniques, processes, and installation to ensure compliance with contract requirements.
- Write reports to inform contractor, engineer, and contracting officer representative of quality assurance and control issues.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or related field (required)
- Valid driver's license (required)
- Basic knowledge of AutoCADD (preferred, can be trained on the job)
- Experience conducting field work (required)
- Knowledge of engineering computations (required)
- Experience with surveying (preferred can be trained on the job)
- Experience in construction (preferred can be trained on the job)
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Resource Assistants Program, go to:https://.fs.usda.gov/working-with-us/volunteers/resource-assistants-program
When asked please reference Position Code R8.OUA.ENGin your application
For more information on MobilizeGreen go to:
ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THIS LINK WILL BE REVIEWED. INDEED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.