Join us. Do work that matters!
In partnership with the White River National Forest of the US Forest Service Rocky Mountain Region, MobilizeGreen seeks two14-week Recreation and Wilderness Summer Interns to work throughout the White River National Forest. Interns will work on fun and fast-paced districts surrounded by beautiful and high-profile settings that the White River NF has to offer. Opportunities to explore and enjoy the area are endless, with major ski areas, Wilderness areas, numerous campgrounds, and hundreds of miles of trail to explore.Interns will work closely with the district staff on wilderness, trails, and recreation projects and activities. These are physically demanding positions requiring hiking up to 8-15 miles a day carrying a 30-40 pound pack for 2-4 days at a time over rough terrain in a remote setting in a variety of weather conditions.The Forest Service will provide and assign a Forest Leader responsible for providing the intern with guidance, oversight and management of project activities and directs the work of the intern. District staff will also assist in supporting the intern with trainings as well as laying work assignments, providing instruction, and inspecting work.We are committed to creating a diverse environment and diverse applicants with relevant education or experience are encouraged to apply.
Locations: Dillon Ranger District, 680 Blue River Parkway, Silverthorne, CO 80498
Term: 14weeks.Full time/40 hours per week
- $500/month housing stipend.
- Hands on learning and job training experience.
- Site travel and housing or housing stipend eligible
- Mentorship for career and professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Visitor contacts in wilderness to educate the public on Leave No Trace ethics/policies.
- Provide information to the public on trail conditions, etc.
- Work with trail crew, volunteers, and other wilderness rangers to conduct trail maintenance activities (clearing trees, maintaining trail drainage, brushing, etc.)
- Monitor/repair resource impacts in wilderness area, such as: disassembling poorly located or excessive fire rings, removing trash, and un-assembling primitive structures visitors made from logs or stone.
- Conduct Outfitter/Guide camp inspections.
- Conduct trail condition surveys/visitor campsite inventories.
- Identify/eradicate invasive plants.
Experience and Qualifications:
- College/graduate or college/graduate student working towards a degree or who already has a degree in recreation, natural resource management, or a conservation-related field.
- Ability to work independently,workoutdoors, andwork collaboratively onprojects.
- Deep interest in environment/natural resource management and the U.S. Forest Service.
- Valid Driver's license.
Work Environment:May be required to travel and work in the backcountry and other remote locations on the forest, independently, and in teams. Field work and administrative work in an office.
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you would be a good match
- 3 references
For other positions:https://www.mobilizegreen.org/job-board
Job Posted by ApplicantPro