The Mississippi Legislature
Joint Committee on Performance Evaluation
and Expenditure Review
James A. Barber
Executive DirectorPost Office Box 1204 Jackson, Mississippi 39201 Telephone: (601) 359-1226
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT No. 105-11-20APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 4, 2020
Position: Editor/Publications CoordinatorStarting Salary: $52,728
Geographic Location: 501 North West Street, Suite 301-A, Jackson, MS
Employees must live within commuting distance.
Fringe Benefits Summary:
1. Paid personal leave, major medical leave, and state holidays.
2. Group health insurance with premium for employee for base coverage paid in full by the state.
3. Life insurance with 50% of premium for employee paid by the state.
4. State retirement eligibility and Social Security. (Optional deferred compensation and flexible spending plans.)
5. Free parking.
6. Employee continuing education and professional license expenses paid subject to approval.
PEER does not reimburse pre-employment interview transportation expenses, employment agency fees, or relocation expenses.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Editor/Publications Coordinator is responsible for the quality of all PEER work products issued in print and online formats. This position works in conjunction with principal analysts and the management team to assure the quality and timeliness of analysts’ written work.
Work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures, specific administrative guidelines, and operational manuals. The responsibilities of the position require the Editor/Publications Coordinator to interact with both agency and non-agency personnel. Duties are performed independently, with general supervision provided by the PEER Executive Director.
The Editor/Publications Coordinator performs four primary types of tasks:
- Developmental editing and messaging--
- serves as consultant in developing findings, conclusions, recommendations, report drafts, and briefings to help ensure communication of key messages through these products; and,
- works with analysts to assure appropriate structure, organization, coherence, and logical consistency in written products.
- Stylistic editing--
- works with analysts to clarify meaning in written products and ensures the appropriate tone, flow, and reading level in written products; and,
- ensures consistency with PEER’s report and memoranda format.
- Copyediting and production--
- copyedits all PEER reports as well as selected legislative assistance memoranda, addressing matters of grammar and usage; and,
- prepares report drafts for exit conferences, mailouts, and committee meetings.
- proofreads PEER reports, legislative assistance memoranda, background check reports, correspondence, and other print and online products, checking for typographical, spelling, punctuation, and formatting errors.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in English, journalism, print communications, or a related field and related work experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in English, journalism, print communications, or a related field and a minimum of one year of work experience in a position in which developmental and stylistic editing was a primary duty
- Knowledge of the English language sufficient to identify and correct grammatical, syntactical, and other writing errors
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word software
- Proficiency in using desktop publishing software
Qualification Requirements (Minimum): (These requirements must be met before an application will be considered further.)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To be considered, your application must include the following items.
(a) Cover letter addressing, in detail, your compliance with the minimum qualification requirements. If you possess any of the preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities, your letter must address these also.
(b) Completed PEER application form. PEER will not accept personal resumes or Mississippi State Personnel Board applications in lieu of a completed application.
(c) Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate college credit. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application purposes. Official transcripts may be required upon employment.
Send application documents to:
Post Office Box 1204
Jackson, Mississippi 39215-1204
Attention: Job Announcement 105-11-20
Evaluation of Applicants:
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of the quality and extent of their total accomplishments, education, experience, and training only on the basis of information supplied. Applications will be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements and preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities by a staff resources board who will determine the extent to which each applicant possesses the appropriate knowledge, skills, abilities, and other personal characteristics required for the position. Those applicants deemed best qualified will be invited for an interview. The Executive Director will make the final selection decision. Prospective employees may be subjected to a background investigation of character, work experience and job performance. If the Executive Director finds no applicant satisfactory, the position will not be filled, and a new announcement will be issued.
THE PEER COMMITTEE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Mississippi Legislature Peer Committee