Mission Neighborhood Centers
San Francisco, CA
It is an exciting time to join Mission Neighborhood Centers, Inc. (MNC)!
Mission Neighborhood Centers is seeking a Substitute Teacher to work with the Master and Lead Teachers in assisting our education staff in overall functioning of assigned Head Start Classroom in accordance with Federal, State, Local and Agency regulations and procedures.
If you are seeking an organization that values, promotes and develops leadership by delivering culturally sensitive, multi-generational, community based services that empower families to build strong, healthy, and vibrant neighborhoods with the vision of a strong, healthier and more vibrant community that respects and celebrates its many rich, cultural traditions, please apply.
We would like to meet you if you are looking for an opportunity to be part of an organization whose mission it is to provide quality childcare and restorative services for troubled youth, enrich in-school and after-school programs, develop workforces for a changing economy, and provide our elders with activities and support that help them avoid isolation and depression and you can answer "yes" to all of the following questions:
- Do you want to improve the quality of people’s lives?
- Are you seeking meaning and purpose in your career?
- Do you wish you could work with an organization actually making a difference in peoples’ lives?
- Are you self-motivated and results driven, yet lighthearted and fun?
- Do you exceed people's expectations of you on a regular basis?
- Is being busy preferable to being bored?
Our ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal and communication skills; loves working with children; good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate and 6 units minimum of Early Childhood Education (ECE)
- Demonstrated interest in working with young children and willingness to pursue career development
- California Child Development Assistant Teacher Permit or higher
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred
- Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills - written and verbal (excellent spelling and grammar)
- Experienced at supporting a culture of teamwork
- Personality: dependable, flexible, dedicated, and professional
- Supports the mission, vision and values of Mission Neighborhood Center
- Interest in CPR/First Aid Training
- Background Check clearance – FBI/DOJ Fingerprint, Child Abuse Index, Physical Exam, TB Test
- Work with children around specific lesson materials in both large groups or individual basis
- Interact with, and provide instruction to, children in the classroom using the English language in order to assist ESL learners to acquire English language skills, and to expand the language skills and vocabulary of English-speakers
- Practice developmentally appropriate practices in all interactions with children at all times
- Follow Head Start policies and procedures in reporting suspected child abuse in accordance with federal and state laws
- Maintain a safe and healthy learning environment at the Center and on Field Trips
- Assure that staff and parents are aware of safety practices and possible hazards in the Center and at home
- Develop and encourage parents to function as resource people in the classroom while participating
- Assist in maintenance of equipment and supplies including emergency supplies
- Carry out Health & Safety Checklist and correct identified deficiencies. Perform minor repairs and maintenance in classroom as needed and report major repair needs to supervisor immediately
- Maintain confidentiality about issues concerning children, families and other faculty members
- Assist in cleaning and sanitizing food service and storage area and equipment, restrooms and learning centers daily
- Sign for food and food supply deliveries and check temperature of food, log temperature, and follow procedure for heating and storage of food according to policy
- Complete and submit time sheets and other personnel related documents according to schedule
- Ensure implementation of the agency mission, program goals and objectives within the classroom and the center
This is an on-call position with an hourly rate of $15.50. This position requires flexibility with potential hours, Monday through Friday 7:30 to 5:30 (8 hour shifts in that range) with the following benefit:
- San Francisco Sick Time
- Amazing SF location –the Mission and Excelsior Districts’ melting pot of cultures, cuisines and colorful Latino markets; close to upscale restaurants and the best taquerias and street foods.
- Close knit, caring team
- And more!
How To Apply
If you are qualified and interested in applying, please send your resume and cover letter with Substitute Teacher in the subject line. Phone calls are not accepted nor will we call you if you don’t submit employment information. Please visit our web site for additional information on our company at: www.mncsf.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diversity in the workplace. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.