The VP, Ameri-Co Carriers is accountable for business results and operational effectiveness in safety, service, cost, people and capacity across the U.S. and rest of world. This role is responsible for establishing strategy, setting operational goals, and delivering results.
The VP, Ameri-Co Carriers is responsible for the overall management of diversified Trucking, Logistics and Global Transportation operations for an international organization that ships products domestically and around the world. The VP, Ameri-Co Carriers will manage all Trucking and Logistics responsibilities associated with asset-based owner operator truck operations and a logistics brokerage operation, including flatbed, dry van and pneumatic equipment divisions.
The VP, Ameri-Co Carriers will have Global Transportation responsibility for all primary lanes of domestic and export including use of rail and ocean. This position is accountable for trucking- truckload and LTL, railroads- class 1 and short lines, barges, ocean container, bulk-ocean and the service providers supporting these transport modes.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Management of the trucking and logistics operations including but not limited to:
- Developing, managing and motivating a team focused on the execution of the strategy and delivering performance
- Partnering with the Sr. leadership team to develop and lead transportation business strategy for all product categories
- Lead initiatives to improve transportation and logistics services (internal and externa) in the areas of quality, speed to market, reliability, execution to plan and overall customer service
- Delivering financial results including sales, costs and profitaility
- Partners with Sales team to support business strategy and execution
- Ensure compliance with Fleet Safety Management program, meeting all FMCSA requirements
- Truck Owner Operator program
- Trailer Fleet Maintenance
- Risk Management
- Brokerage sales and operations
- Position is accountable to achieve lowest logistics landed cost and developing supply chain to achieve that while meeting customer expectations of on time in full
- Look for opportunities to use "best in practice" techniques for transportation operations
- Supply chain providers include trucking, rail, transloads, port stevedores, barges and ocean carriers
- Management of private fleet of railcars
- Management for freight rates and agreements for the various modes
- Communication to Sales, Operations and Management of logistics costs activities and issues
- International customer management, pricing, forecasts and shipping plans
- Supplier Quality Management
- Set distribution strategy and inventory management
The VP, Ameri-Co Carriers will be responsible for managing, supporting and achieving Operational Excellence and lean goals and initiatives through the following:
· 5S, inventory reduction, process flow mapping, value stream mapping, visual management, standard work, Kaizen events, statistical process control, and Total Productive Maintenance
· Leading the team in a continuous improvement work environment
· Supporting quality teams and management with OE initiatives and actively suggests opportunities for improvement.
Trucking and Logistics
- Experience in Transportation owner operator fleet operation and Logistics brokerage operation. Able to determine strategy and lead organization on the execution of the strategy.
- Ability to analyze financial information.
- Experience in maintaining, developing improving fleet safety management program.
- Experience in risk management, truck accident management, legal inquires, and courtroom requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively with contractor driver fleet.
- Able to work effectively as leader of organization that is part of larger company that requires skill to determine best solution for the entire company not just the transportation group.
- Experienced in OSHA, FMCSA, and other regulatory agencies that govern transportation activities.
· Experience in organizing and management of all logistics activities for multinational shipper.
· Ability to communicate effectively to stakeholders in the company.
· Development of logistics cost scenarios and quoting of costs.
· Development of lowest landed cost global supply chain for international locations.
· Experience in Rail Transportation and railcar fleet management.
· Negotiations of pricing agreements.
· Experience in Ocean Container logistics
· Bulk ocean chartering
Experience in Federal Maritime regulations, Import Export compliance - USA and countries that we are operating in, Harmonized Tariff product codes and compliance, Free Trade agreement, NAFTA compliance.
The requirements listed in the sections that follow are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform the duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions (primary duties) of the job.
- Bachelor's Degree Required (Advanced degree MBA preferred) in any of the following disciplines: Logistics, Distribution, Engineering, Industrial Management, and Finance.
- 10 to 15 years of progressive responsibility within the transportation or logistics discipline combined with proven transportation leadership experience.
- Exposure to operating multiple accounts and facilities in a dedicated or private fleet environment, using transportation management systems spanning across multiple regions.
- Experience with prospecting and evaluating potential customers for future business opportunities.
- Experience with all aspects of complex transportation operations start-ups.
- Extensive P&L management experience.
- Knowledge of rail, truck, and water transportation equipment required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Travel: Domestic and international travel is required. Ability to travel 30%+
· Comprehensive benefits plan available upon hire including medical, dental and vision coverage
· 401(k) with employer match
· Paid holidays and generous paid time off
· Bonus programs that include annual team and individual performance