Miller Nash Graham & Dunn has an immediate opening for an experienced, technically progressive, forward thinking, Director of Finance and Accounting to join its team!
This role provides direction and guidance for the financial well-being and management of the firm and supports the firm’s strategic plan and vision. In addition, this position manages the day-to-day general accounting, accounts receivable and collections, accounts payable, client trust accounting, reporting, and financial risk management at the firm.
- Drives financial excellence.
- Assists financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Assists Managing Partner, Executive Committee, and other department directors in developing and executing the firm’s business plans
- Participates and is a facilitator of the firm’s business strategy, including assessing outside influences on the business
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Together with our outside consultant, participates as a member of the committee overseeing the firm’s 401(k) and profit sharing plan.
- Provides status of the financial condition of the firm by collecting, interpreting, and reporting key financial data. Is also able to assess strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities of the firm’s financial health based on this data and factors outside the firm.
- Monitors and calculates payments for employed attorney compensation agreements.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislations and filing financial reports. Advises Managing Partner of potential risks.
- Manages the business relationship with the firm’s bank representatives including credit applications, debt covenants, authorized signers, firm credit cards, and use of electronic fund transfers to and from the accounts.
- Coordinates annual insurance renewals
- Oversees the annual budgeting process, investigates variances, and communicates them to management. Controls expenses effectively.
- Assist with hires for department; trains, develops, and appraises department staff effectively.
- Effectively supervises the accounting department staff while providing coaching, goal-setting, oversight, and constructive feedback.
- Keeps up-to-date on accounting standards, information, and technology affecting the firm to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
- Oversees all banking, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Works with outside accountants to coordinate annual compilation of financial records and to ensure income tax returns are accurate, complete, and timely filed.
- Manages monthly account reconciliations and maintenance of the general ledger to ensure proper and expedited closings. Prepares monthly internal financial statements.
- Forecasts firm results and monthly cash flow needs and availability in collaboration with the Managing Partner.
- Will participate in implementation and use of business intelligence systems being used as a reporting and analytical tool.
The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- 8-10 years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in public accounting, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to a leadership team.
- Experience in the legal industry a plus, but not required.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with and manage multiple financial and other technology software and databases, including database modification for report generation and advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Strong analytical, research, organizational, and problem solving skills which will allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Ability to understand the legal industry, assess outside influences on the business, and network with other business leaders in the industry.
- Ability to assess processes and promote, recommend, and implement solutions for automation and efficiencies.
- Proactive learner striving to maintain and grow business and financial acumen as well as legal industry knowledge.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Good judgment.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; prefer experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to executive leadership.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with others.
- Ability to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities.
- A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the role.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are qualified and interested in being a part of our collaborative team, please apply by clicking the green "apply now" button. Cover letter and resume must be included with your application in order to be considered as a candidate.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Equal Employment Opportunity
All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The www.millenash.com job postings and HR mailbox are for candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, and do not have a signed contract with Miller Nash Graham & Dunn LLP (MNG&D) and have not been asked specifically to submit candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if MNG&D hires the candidate. Direct contact with MNG&D employees in an attempt to present candidates is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future professional relationship with the Firm.