General Summary of Duties: Responsible for mixing of intravenous chemotherapy. Supporting the overall daily functions of the pharmacy area including stocking, inventory, daily drug/supplies ordering, and maintaining Lynx data.
- Receive and process patient’s chemotherapy and infusion orders that are received from the Oncology Nurses throughout the day. Processing the order includes;
- Review the order for accuracy, referencing drug standard dosage chart prior to mixing any drugs. If any discrepancy or question refer back to the Oncology Nurse for clarification prior to mixing or ordering drugs.
- Pull the drugs ordered from the Lynx machine and prepare the medications including priming of the bag, labeling the medication for dispensing.
- Place labeled drugs/medications mixed on the patient’s order and for Oncology Nurse to pick up.
- Receive, check, and inventory daily McKesson drug/supply order. Includes inventorying drugs into the Lynx machine and updating expiration dates.
- Record and maintain refrigerator temperature log.
- Stocking pharmacy and nurses stations with required supplies (i.e. syringes, IV bags, tubing, etc.)
- Sanitize and clean pharmacy area including equipment and hood prior to leaving for the day.
- Prepare drug/supply order for patients for the next two days which includes;
- Generating an appointment worksheet for the chemotherapy clinic assigned, printing out scheduled appointments for the next two days.
- Review each patient’s order in the practice management system to verify and record each drug and dose needed.
- Inventory drugs/medications in Lynx to determine what drugs need to be ordered for the patients.
- Tally up drugs needed to prepare order.
- Place drug order by 4:30pm.
- Reconcile inventory and report discrepancies to Lead Pharmacy Technician.
- Maintain Curlin pump inventory. Including monitoring pump maintenance and repairs.
- Prepare yellow chemotherapy Sharps containers for weekly pick-up.
Additional Duties as Needed:
- Contacting oxygen vendor for tank refills.
- Contacting Lynx technical support for maintenance or repair issues.
- Inspect and maintain eye wash station.
- Re-stock nurses supply area.
- Perform other duties assigned by management, Clinical Supervisor, Lead Pharmacy Technician, or Lead Oncology Nurse.
Experience: Minimum of 1 to 2 year experience as certified pharmacy technician mixing chemotherapy agents in infusion center, clinic, or hospital. Significant experience of intravenous admixtures and chemotherapy is a MUST.
Requirements: Certified Pharmacy Technician license through the state of Texas
- Knowledge of clinic policies related to standard pharmaceutical and oncology practices.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of a Lynx Machine and functionality.
- Ability to organize daily job functions.
- Ability to manage high volume of orders utilizing efficient time management.