Greets, instructs and informs patients re: completion of appropriate forms, HIPAA Notice of Privacy practices, waiting times, and answers non-medical questions. Checks patients in/out, verifies demographic and health plan information and accurately enters it into EMR, collects payments, and schedule patient appointments. Directs other visitors and informs staff when visitors arrive for appointments. Performs office duties as directed including answering phones, taking messages, assisting in retrieval of medical charts, chart preparation, surgery scheduling, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Acknowledges and welcomes patients and visitors.
- Informs staff of patient/visitor arrival and provides instruction, assistance and information as to completion of requires paperwork and waiting times.
- Answers general questions about the facility: location, rest rooms, hours of operation, etc.
- Ensures waiting area is clean and tidy
- Schedule surgery at hospitals and ambulatory surgery center and effeciently manage physician's schedule
- Assistants or calls for assistance with patients with ambulatory difficulties.
- Obtains registration information from patient for input into EMR.
- Verifies and/or updates demographic and health plan information.
- Checks patients in and out of clinic.
- Provides patients with information regarding payment obligations, HIPAA Notice of Privacy practices, clinic policies, and collects all required forms and signatures.
- Schedules appointments into EMR according to practice protocol.
- Conveys schedule changes to appropriate staff.
- Reviews next day's schedules and as directed, prints out physician schedules in advance of visits.
- May assist patients with obtaining appointments at other physician and hospital sites and/or schedules lab or radiology testing.
- Pulls patient charts, files information correctly info patient charts, and maintains filing system.
- Prepares charts to clinic and/or Practice specifications.
- Collects copays, cash, check, or credit card payments ensuring patients receive receipts. Posts all payments in EMR.
- Answers multiple lines, screens calls, takes accurate and detailed messages for all calls including telephone encounters, directs calls to appropriate support staff
- Understands limits of responsibility by not providing medical advice to patients.
- Performs all other duties/responsibilities as assigned
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- At least two years experience in a medical office setting mandatory with basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred
EDUCATION and / or CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE:
High school diploma or GED
- Service Orientation: Capable of providing excellent service to customers, friendly and approachable demeanor, resolving customer complaints, and understanding customer service principles.
- Organization: Able to provide order and structure to daily processes and work environment.
- Verbal Communication: Capable of interacting with, and relating to, people of varying educational levels and backgrounds, conveying information clearly and succinctly, applying listening, tact, responsiveness, empathy, and confidentiality.
- Multi-tasking: Able to properly perform multiple duties at once, greeting, message taking, checking patients in/out, while maintaining attention to detail.
- Adaptability: Able to be flexible and comfortable in adjusting to changing activities. Maintains calm under pressure and is able to think clearly to enhance problem solving.
- Team Work: Works effectively with others to accomplish objectives and goals. Willingly offers assistance to others when the need arises.
- Computer Proficiency: Ability to learn and become proficient in EMR software as well as have basic knowledge of Microsoft applications.