- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Do you have a keen attention to detail? Do you pride yourself on your ability to fuse fiber strands with minimal light loss? Do you see more than a rainbow when you look at fiber optic fibers? Then, we want to talk to you.
What You'll Do
As a fiber splicer for Midwest Energy & Communications (MEC) in our southeast Michigan service area, you'll splice fiber optic cables in both outdoor and indoor settings and install and maintain overhead and underground equipment. When you aren't working with your hands, you will spend your time creating staking sheets, schematics and diagrams.
Key responsibilities include:
- Operate overhead buckets on fiber network systems to place splice enclosures, terminals.
- Perform routine maintenance.
- Conduct regular inspections of the system with the aim of locating and repairing any defects detected during the inspections.
- Troubleshoot and repair problems utilizing optical test equipment such as OTDR, Fiber Identifier and Fiber Scope.
- Troubleshoot and repair outages on a live network.
- Prepare engineering field notes.
- Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail.
- Recommend changes in running line or construction methodologies.
- Facilitating conversion into CAD and Visio programs.
- Entering and maintaining outside plant records.
Who You Are
You have a mechanical aptitude with strong problem-solving skills. You know how to operate fiber optic splice equipment and have a strong understanding of fiber optic theory which includes fiber loss, connector types and the different types of fibers. You have a HS diploma or equivalent with ten years of experience in constructing telecom outside plant. Must have a Chauffer's License and medical card or be able to obtain one. Project lead work experience is preferred.
Must be able to stoop, crawl, bend at the knees and waist, squat and lift 50 lbs. includes body weight, equipment, tools and boxes and stand for long periods of time on varied surfaces. Position requires working outdoors in all types of weather. Ability to climb and work at elevations (e. g. from ladders, poles, lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet and work in confined spaces (e. g. attics, crawl spaces, utility holes) is required.
Why You Should Apply
You would love to work in a fun environment providing first-in-class innovations and solutions, where others won't. Your personal values align with ours. You want to work for a company with an excellent employment brand and some darn good benefits.
Think we're a good match? Apply by January 26!
- Employment Type: Full Time 40+ hours per week
- Starting Wage: $30.00 - 36.50 per hour depending on experience.
- Industry: Utility, Telecom, Outside Plant
- Manages Others: No
- Required Travel: Daily travel to assigned work project inside service area
- Working Conditions: Outside - All weather
- Work Shift/Location: Day Shift - Weekdays with occasional after-hours outage restoration work in Southeast Michigan area
In the 1930s, Midwest Energy & Communications (MEC) began to bring power and light to the rural space when the large utility providers wouldn't. Today's MEC embraces that same spirit, transforming the rural space by delivering first-in-class innovations and solutions where others won't. We bring comfort and convenience in the form of electric, propane and Internet solutions across southern Michigan. But we are so much bigger than the services we provide. There is a constant energy at MEC, it's a buzz felt wherever our employees gather, whether in the office or in the field. Because we genuinely like each other. We help each other solve problems. We boost each other up. And at the end of the day, we gather for fun and share stories about our work and home lives. We've worked hard to build a culture we're proud of, a culture that values taking care of each other, collaborating on new ideas and standing up for our rural community. We're excited about the work we do and who we get to do that work with. We're MEC. With us, it's all about the energy.
Midwest Energy & Communications is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, ancestry, marital or veteran status.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Midwest Energy & Communications
TechnologyView all jobs at Midwest Energy & Communications