Health Information Medical Systems Technician
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Midtown Health Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center serving Northeast Nebraska with focus on improving access to complete care for the whole family is looking for a high skilled individual with focus on accuracy and excellent customer service to immediately fill a Health Information Medical Systems Technician opening at our clinic.
Minimum of Associate's Degree in Health Information Management Systems preferred.
Proficiency in English and Spanish is a plus. Wage differential offered to successful bilingual candidate.
Midtown Health Center offers competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurances, 401(k), paid time off and more.
The Health Information Management System (HIMS) Technician compiles, processes, and maintains medical records of Midtown Health Center patients in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements of the health care system. The HIMS Technician will also code patient data using standard classification systems and assist in collecting, posting, and managing payments for patient accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiates medical record by creating and processing the patient care record folder.
- Reviews medical records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations; notifies providers of record deficiencies; and tracks outstanding records.
- Assures appropriate medical release of information is documented in patient records.
- Retrieves records from hospitals and/or specialists for reports, operative notes, discharge summaries, laboratory and radiology reports.
- Scans medical records into patient’s electronic health record.
- Enters data, such as demographic characteristics, history and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures, or treatment into electronic health records.
- Provides medical record information by answering questions and requests of patients, providers, law firms, insurance companies, and government agencies.
- Resolves or clarifies codes or diagnosis with conflicting, missing, or unclear information by consulting with providers or others.
- Identifies, compiles, abstracts, and codes patient data, using standard classification systems.
- Assists in collecting, posting, and managing payments for patient accounts including following up with insurance companies on claims.
- Other duties as assigned.
Duties 1 through 10 are designated as ADA Essential Functions and must be performed in this job. All other job duties are secondary functions.
Qualifications: Training and Education
Minimum high school diploma with training/experience in the medical field required. Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Management Systems preferred.
Three years of relevant experience preferred.
- Must have a valid Nebraska driver’s license and provide proof of personal driver’s insurance and the ability to utilize own transportation for work purposes.
- Certification from the Commission on Certification for Health Informatics and Information Management (CCHIIM) is preferred.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to efficiently carry out Midtown Health’s Center mission statement and comply with its policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, co-workers, and the public and to be able to demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information in accordance to HIPAA regulations.
- Ability to comply with all occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations, and orders issues under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA).
- Ability to utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills to address clinic’s needs.
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions and do appropriate follow-up.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Must have exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to constructively participate in quality improvement efforts.
- Ability to actively participate in marketing and outreach activities when requested and emergency response events when required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) verbal and written skills are highly desired.
- Knowledge of alphanumeric representations of medical conditions
- Knowledge of NextGen
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work varied and extended hour scheduling as requested including early mornings, evenings, and occasional weekends.
- Ability to work in a smoke-free and drug-free work environment.
- Position may be located in a busy, open office area and may be faced with interruptions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
- Vision and hearing within normal parameters to perform job requirements.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job class. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personal so classified.Midtown Health Center is an equal opportunity employee and will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Midtown Health Center Inc
HealthcareView all jobs at Midtown Health Center Inc