Optometric Technician / Optician
Midline Vision Group LLC Madison, WI
- Posted: over a month ago
Are you energetic, accurate, and accountable? Are you looking for exciting opportunities in eye care or retail? Consider working with us at Pearle Vision - Fitchburg! We are adding to our team and want motivated, personable professionals to help us deliver a great patient experience.
The best candidate(s) will be excited about helping the optometrist with patient screening, facilitating efficient and accurate patient eye exams, and working closely with patients in a sales environment in a way that helps drive the practice's growth. Candidates with prior experience in other medical positions (medical assistants or other outpatient clinic workers, those in the dental or chiropractic industries, etc.) or those with some retail experience tend to excel in this type of role. This position would also receive cross-training in the manufacturing and assembly of complete pairs of eyeglasses.
This a full-time position, and part-time opportunities are also available for the right candidate(s).
Optometric Technicians / Opticians are responsible for assisting the optometrists with several aspects of patient care and performing an essential sales function within the company. They record or transcribe in the electronic patient record all findings during the examination. They complete glasses and medication prescriptions, recall information and patient education needed to provide comprehensive eye care to the patient. Their duties include the utilization of computerized medical office software, administrative office procedures, health insurance processing billing and transcription of medical reports.
The major responsibility of the Optometric Technician / Optician is to assist the optometrist in the technical and administrative operation of an optometric practice. The position will interact with patients by delivering an exceptional patient experience, and foster patient retention through relationship development and a consultative sales process for optical materials. An Optometric Technician / Optician role combines the skills of a medical office administrator, medical billing and collections, appointment scheduler or medical records clerk, direct patient care, and sales. This position would also assist with the manufacturing and assembly of complete pairs of eyeglasses at our in-house lab.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Pre-screen patients before an eye exam, to include vision, intraocular pressures, pupils, history of present illness, muscle balance, medical history, confrontation visual field and ocular motility.
- Accurately fill out and complete all information during the course of exam (route slip, consent forms, glasses prescriptions, medication prescription forms, MRI/CT/lab order forms).
- Document or transcribe in patients' record the optometrist's findings of the examination.
- Address patient calls, triaging emergent calls and determining appropriate scheduling protocol for the situation, completing patient medication refill requests, completing paperwork, scheduling and prior authorizing imaging requests (e.g., CT scans, MRI).
- Record billing information of the exam for proper financial processing.
- Conduct visual fields; operate the automated visual field unit.
- Escort patients to patient reception area if needed; may be required to assist patients with walking, by pushing wheelchairs, lifting and transferring.
- Develop professional business relationships with other associates and doctors.
- Prepare exam rooms for efficient and complete care.
- Use a consultative sales process to help patients find the right materials for their vision needs based on the prescription and recommendation of the optometrist.
- Other duties as assigned by a member of management staff.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Understanding of medical terminology.
- Demonstrates knowledge of proper, safe, efficient usage of office equipment, computers, and software; working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced optometric facility while adhering to HIPAA compliance regulations.
- Attention to detail and a focus on accuracy are needed for success in this position.
- Ability to manage priorities through adaptability and flexibility.
We offer paid time off, professional development assistance, a retirement plan with employer match, as well as employee discounts on vision care, glasses, and contact lenses. These benefits are available to both part-time and full-time employees. We do not currently offer a group health insurance plan or dental insurance.
High school diploma or equivalent, and experience typically achieved with a minimum of 1-2 years in a retail or healthcare environment. Current paraoptometric certification (such as a CPO, CPOA, or CPOT) or ability to achieve certification within one year of hire preferred. The incumbent or successful candidate must meet the position requirements above in order to perform the essential functions of this position and achieve the outcomes/results indicated in this position description. The company will make every effort to make reasonable accommodations upon request to enable qualified individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job.
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization through written and two-way verbal communication. Able to read and write at a high school graduate level.
- Able to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 10 to 20 pounds.
- Ability to see (Near, Distance, Color, and Depth Perception). Good eye and hand coordination.
- Manual and finger dexterity, as well as hand/arm steadiness. Ability to grip and hold items.
- Able to operate a cash register, various optical equipment, office equipment, and tools
- Able to work normal and/or extended (evenings, nights, and weekends) office hours to meet established deadlines.
- Able to travel independently to support Company objectives and personal development.
Midline Vision Group LLC
HealthcareView all jobs at Midline Vision Group LLC