MidPen is building the future of affordable housing. Combining beautifully designed communities with life-transforming services for our residents, we’re on a mission to help our partners, residents, and employees see what’s possible. We believe community is the key to a healthy and successful collective future, and we are changing the world from our own backyard!
This position reports to the General Manager of Operations & Leasing for MidPen Housing Management and has responsibility for the supporting operations of the MidPen Housing Management Corporation. The Director is responsible for overseeing the operation of MidPen Housing Management Corporation properties, achieving strong fiscal performance, solid regulatory compliance, maintaining the physical integrity of each property, and developing a skilled and qualified management team. The Director works closely with Facilities management to ensure that the integrity of the physical structure of each property we manage adheres to MidPen standards and policy regarding maintenance, safety, and curb appeal. The Director also works with Human Resources to ensure that all employees are treated consistently, fairly and in accordance with MidPen policy.
Your day to day
• Responsible for the efficient and cost-effective operation of all properties by maintaining occupancies and adhering to budgets.
• Approves expenses according to company policy.
• Works with property management staff to develop annual budgets for each property in liaison with Asset Management, Accounting, and Facilities.
• Monitors monthly financial performance on properties to insure that financial goals and budgets are met – including review of accounts receivable, individual property cash flow, rent increases, welfare property tax exemptions, and replacement reserves.
• Ensures that site and property office procedures are efficient, appropriate, automated where possible, and maximize computer resources through the use of Boston Post, MRI, AvidXchange, SafeRent, and any other computer resources available at MidPen.
• Works with Director of Compliance to ensures that adequate record keeping and reporting systems are in place to monitor HUD contract renewals and that data is correctly documented.
• Works with and supports Director of Compliance in implementing controls to ensure site managers are in compliance with HUD, TCAC, and other legal or regulatory requirements.
• Monitors property re-certification process for completeness, accuracy, and timeliness.
• Ensures that property files are maintained and in good order.
• Assists in identification of department strengths and weaknesses and works with General Manager to develop a plan with established goals and objectives for the management corporation and insures that management practices and approaches are up to date, and in line with industry standards.
• Builds and maintains effective working relations between MidPen’s affiliates and departments.
• Works with Director of Facilities to ensure that preventive maintenance plans are established for each property, executed and maintained.
• Ensures all properties are free of safety hazards and that the properties adhere to MidPen’s policies and guidelines.
• Ensures property management staff follows company policies & procedures with respect to purchasing.
• Ensures property management staff is following company policies & procedures regarding turnover maintenance and curb appeal standards.
• Ensures that property management staff has an updated map of locations to all utility routings and cut-offs including water, gas, sewer, electrical, telephone, TV, etc.
• Ensures that property management staff has adequate emergency plans available and current.
• Ensures each property has established, executed and continues to monitor a resident retention plan.
• Ensures resident complains are handled diplomatically with timely resolution.
• Ensures evictions are processed in compliance with regulatory guidelines, fair housing, court orders, and /or in adherence to MidPen policy guidelines.
• Establishes reporting systems to monitor performance standards and ensure adequate written record of performance are maintained.
• Assist and attend regular meetings with Property Managers, Community Managers, Property Management Leadership Team, Board of Directors, and other meeting assignments as required.
• Encourages communication between properties and the central office departments.
• Hire, orients, trains, supervises and coaches staff for high performance and to meet implementation objectives.
• Conducts annual performance reviews and monitors direct report performance, actively mentoring and supporting staff career development.
• Ensure that property management staff are getting effective training, supervision, and coaching from Property Managers.
• Provides for a positive work environment for employees that promotes competent staff and treats everyone fairly.
• Trains management staff to anticipate and correct deviations, variances and problems.
• Provides on-the-job and formal management training and coaching, where needed, to improve skills.
• Provides career development of staff and recommends to Director promotional decisions consistent with established MidPen career paths.
Performs other assignments as requested.
What You Bring
• BA, Business Management or equivalent, advanced degrees highly desired.
• Knowledge of real estate property management, contract administration, and/or housing law required.
• Some knowledge of HUD, tax credit and other regulatory agency requirements helpful but not required.
• 5+ years progressive management/supervisory experience necessary with at least 3+ years overseeing a staff of two direct reports
• Strong people management skills.
• Ability to set goals and monitor performance
• Ability to complete physical site inspections.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Computer literate and understanding of property management software with special preference to MRI knowledge
• Must have a valid California Driver’s License, proof of current auto insurance, and reliable transportation.
Life at MidPen
When you join MidPen, you join a team of passionate, committed individuals. Whether you work at our corporate office or onsite at one of our communities, MidPen employees help transform lives from day one while enjoying the following full time benefits and perks:
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Competitive vacation and sick time accrual, and personal holiday hours
• Long-term disability insurance
• Life insurance and AD&D
• Great work-life balance, including a wellness program
• Free on-site parking
• In-house trainings and external classes supporting professional development
• Company outings and team-building activities
• Financial counseling and generous discretionary retirement contributions
At MidPen, we seek those with good hearts and great minds - those who share our dream of providing affordable housing to all. We are guided by five core values that shape our interactions with our partners, residents, and each other:
Integrity: We provide accurate, timely information, manage our company resources responsibly, and conduct all aspects of our business honestly and fairly.
Collaboration: We work as a team that seeks out and honors diverse opinions, ideas, and skill sets in order to achieve common goals. We understand that individual success is linked with our collective success.
Accountability: We follow through on the commitments we make to one another, our partners, our residents and our communities. We deliver specific, defined results and take responsibility for the consequences of our actions or inactions.
Respect: We treat our employees, residents, vendors, partners, investors, and the community in which we work with dignity. We welcome social and intellectual diversity and we recognize and value the unique contributions made by our diverse stakeholders.
Excellence: We set and strive to meet a high standard for quality, professionalism and competence. We create a work environment that inspires extraordinary work, recognizes results, and gives everyone a chance to make a difference and share in the organization’s success.
We want you to be part of #TeamMidPen. Find more than a job. Find community. Apply today!
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled Employer