We’re looking for a trademark attorney to join Microsoft’s trademark team. Microsoft’s trademark team is responsible for advising on a broad range of trademark issues, including clearance, conflicts, licensing, intermediary and contributory liability, prosecution, trademark counseling, as well as internal and external policy development and outreach. This attorney will share responsibility with Microsoft’s other trademark lawyers, paralegals, program managers and operations specialists for the company’s global trademark legal practice.Responsibilities
Responsibilities for this role include:
- Serve as trademark attorney and trusted advisor for one or more product groups and their associated legal teams and advise on a broad range of strategic trademark matters.
- Oversee trademark clearance, prosecution, conflicts, and licensing for your product groups.
- Work effectively with internal teams, including the broader CELA Marketing and Consumer Business Group, colleagues in the legal department, business clients, specialists, Microsoft subsidiaries, and multiple product groups to help analyze legal risks, resolve issues and implement overall trademark-related business strategies.
- Coordinate work with outside counsel globally and oversee efficient use of budget allocation.
- Identify opportunities for policy and advocacy outreach and develop Microsoft’ position on key trademark policy matters.
- Create and deliver innovative legal training to clients and colleagues across Microsoft.
The mix and balance among these responsibilities may shift over time.Qualifications
We are looking for a stellar attorney with:
- A J.D., LL.B. or equivalent with excellent academic credentials.
- A minimum of 5 years as a practicing attorney, specializing in trademark law with extensive US and international experience in clearance, prosecution, licensing, and conflict work, including litigation or litigation management. In-house experience is a plus.
- High personal standards of commitment and integrity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively across groups with a sense of urgency, including the ability to influence without formal authority.
- Demonstrate the ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines in fast-paced environment, prioritize workflow, and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations.
- A keen business sense, the skills to find creative solutions to legal issues, and the ability to effectively balance legal risks against business interests.
- Innate bias for action and driving client-focused results.
- Strong results orientation, customer focus, a commitment to providing the highest quality client service, and a desire to develop trusted advisor relationships with business clients.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team, and possessing the ability to lead, mentor and motivate others.
- Experience and passion for internet, software, and technology-related issues.
- Desire and ability to work as part of a diverse and inclusive team, and to foster diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Willingness to commit at least 30 hours a year to pro bono service.
The above description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. The actual duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary.
Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.