he Garage is an innovative program that gives university students the opportunity to work with industry leaders and their peers to build apps for the latest Microsoft platforms. Garage students work in small teams with modern engineering toolsets to build and ship their work. Each team is responsible for an app, starting with product definition, working through design and development; and if successful, wrapping up with the public launch of the app in the Store. Coaches and technical leaders from across Microsoft provide guidance and expertise. .
- Invest in great talent: The Garage provides an opportunity for students to experience the breadth of Microsoft technologies and to practice engineering in a fast-paced environment. We grow talent and provide an on-ramp for interns to move into future internship or full-time positions at Microsoft.
- Build on Microsoft platforms: Microsoft’s strategic platform is constantly moving forward. Our teams build apps and cloud-powered services on Windows, Xbox One, HoloLens, Surface Hub and Azure with APIs from OneDrive, OneNote, Xbox Live, and others.
- Ship fast with quality: The Garage uses modern engineering infrastructure and an agile development model to ship apps in 16weeks. Our apps ship to Microsoft’s app stores and have received accolades from press, partners, and customers alike.
As a Software Engineer in the Garage, you’ll bring a product to life by working with a small team of other software engineers and a designer, with guidance and insight from a team of experienced technical coaches and mentors.
You will work closely with your team and have end-to-end ownership for development and quality of a product (and associated services) that will delight customers and add strategic value for Microsoft. Working closely with your team’s designer and other software engineers, you will evaluate requirements, estimate costs, create and implement features and services. You will define and implement the quality criteria for your app, using measurements and insights to understand and validate the quality of experience for customers. You will manage risks, leverage other products and technologies, and drive integration with the broader ecosystem. As an software engineer, you are dedicated to producing the world’s most advanced software.Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science or related field (pursuing with at least one semester/quarter remaining after internship).
- 1-2 years of experience programming in C++, Java or other computer programming languages preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience in C/C++/C#/VB.NET and experience designing and developing tool architecture preferred.
- Strong technical prowess, including understanding of algorithms, systems architecture and end-user experience.
- Expertise in feature definition, design and feasibility.
- Demonstrated skill in estimating development time.
- Ability to author test plans and cases, conduct security and stress tests and debug at source level after identifying, investigating and prioritizing bugs.
- Proactive work ethic, capable and creative problem solver who is not afraid of big challenges.
- Able to work closely with other team members in a collaborative productive multidisciplinary environment.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.