At Microsoft our cloud services' infrastructure supports more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses around the world every day. We opened our first data center in 1989 and since then we have invested over $15 billion in our cloud infrastructure to support the growing customer demand for our cloud services.
Do you want to be at the center of the next largest IT industry? Are you looking enhance your expertise and grow within a dynamic team of world-leading cloud professionals? If so, then you are looking in the right place!
The CSI Firmware Deployment team within Azure is responsible for monitoring and deploying the firmware that powers the cloud hardware. You will design, develop and implement tools that enable delivery of embedded firmware into Microsoft’s massive global cloud infrastructure, and to help continually improve the process.
To support this effort, we are looking for a Server and Infrastructure Software Engineer based in Redmond, WA, who can design, develop and implement firmware deployment capabilities while providing software debugging between embedded firmware, chassis manager, drivers, operating system, Azure fabric controller & DCM modules.
• Responsible for Engineering level development and support of Firmware Deployment tools of Server and Data Center Infrastructure Products developed by Microsoft’s CSI team.
• Work with ODMs, OEMs, vendors, and internal teams to provide proactive improvements in software reliability, and diagnosability, while also working reactively to debug complex problems.
• Support large scale server deployments and problem resolution through tools and automation (scripting) using C, C++, C#, PowerShell, Python or Perl.
• Use the developed tool automation to check and then work with Microsoft Product Groups to deploy Server FW (BIOS, BMC, Chassis Manager etc.) and OS images with associated configuration settings.
• Work with Microsoft internal teams to support Server Operations through CSI Firmware Deployment tools. Interface and interact with servers and infrastructure through the management network to root cause server fleet issues to minimize server downtime.
• Work with CSI Product Development Teams to manage the Life Cycle of the deployed servers from Deployment to End of Life (EOL).
• Triage and document bugs and drive to resolution
• Focus on continuous improvement through optimum level of process and procedures.
- Bachelor’s required, MS desired
• 1+ years’ of hands-on experience (testing, validation, design and development or sustaining) with x86 Industry Standard Server or related products from OEMs or ODM Partners is a plus.
• 2+ years hands on Programming skills with C, C++ or C# and scripting skills with PowerShell, Python or Perl is essential.
• 1+ year and a strong grasp of key technologies in servers such as CPU, motherboards, BIOS, BMC, remote management, memory, storage sub-system is a plus.
• Hands on experience of operating in Windows Server 2012 environment and imaging tools (System Center, WDS etc.) is essential. Experience with Linux is a plus.
• Experience with complete SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) is a plus.
• Passion for server problem solving in a high-volume data center environment is essential.
• Individual effectiveness skills such as discipline, time management, decision making, planning and organizing work, summarizing results through technical reports (TFS, MS Office) are highly desired.
• Self-motivated individual, must be able work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment and across the team of engineers.
• Must be able to plan work, and work to a plan adapting as necessary in a rapidly evolving Environment.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings. Note that this position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.