Senior Business Manager
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Are you an experienced business manager looking for an opportunity to have an impact? Are you a high-energy, detail-oriented team player with great communication skills and an affinity for fast evolving environment and execution excellence? As a Senior Business Manager in DSRE, you will partner closely with our business partners (Recruiting, Human Resources, Finance) and our senior leaders to establish and manage a rhythm of business, manage our organizations’ financial success relative to forecast and report on a regular basis, manage key projects and lead the quarter/annual planning process for your teams. You will also need to be a strategic thinker, helping us stay prepared for our future needs.
The DSRE Chief of Staff is looking for a highly motivated business operations professional that wants to be part of one of Microsoft’s most important functions, securing Microsoft. This is a high visibility role and will be critical as we grow the business and engage across both internal and external stakeholders in driving security into the day-to-day operations of Microsoft and back into our products.Responsibilities
- Enable end-to-end business excellence and drive the ISRM business portfolio.
- Grow LT maturity
- Ensure communication and visibility of relevant information to the org
- Drive business decisions horizontally across the functional teams and vertically with the Chief of Staff
- Improve operational efficiency and reduce complexity
- Precisely and proactively manage the team Opex budget, team calendar of events - working with the finance team and budget stakeholders to have a deep understanding of service and discretionary spend and drive to quarterly and FY financial targets/accountabilities. Ensure all program asks have clear ROI.
- Create a regular cadence of business and drive monthly business reviews
- Manage the team specific rhythm and communications -- LT meetings, all-hands, off-sites, Teams, training, awards, etc. This includes engagement on CVP & SLT level.
- Provide actionable business insights that enable effective management and decision-making
- Drive for improvements within our business process and resources
- Partner closely with LT, Finance, HR, and Communications to drive business imperatives while executing and tracking results
- Participate as leading member of the business manager community - collaborating on cross organizational projects and initiatives as appropriate.
Knowledge, experience and skills required:
- Relevant experience working on rhythm-of-business activities, business operations, business management, marketing, finance, or other similar environments.
- 7+ years of experience in marketing, business analysis, business management or finance role, preferably with Security and/or IT teams
- Ability to story-tell business and financial analytics and reports to audiences spanning multiple disciplines & seniority levels, including senior executives
- Proven effectiveness driving complex multi-stakeholder planning processes, leading cross-team programs to desired results, and managing risk
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
Preferred, not required:
- Excellent presentation skills and experience of presenting to senior managemen
- Information gathering and analysis – The BM needs to be able to create and to utilize systems (both formal and informal) for gathering reliable information on what is happening throughout DSRE with regard to the strategic initiatives being tracked.
- A keen mind and multi-focal intelligence – The BM will be juggling many balls in support of the their leaders. She/he must have a quick but thorough grasp of the salient issues and details of each initiative to be able to make evaluations and recommendations to the leader.
- Poise and grace under pressure – The pressure to perform at the highest level will be relentless, since by definition, each strategic initiative is mission-critical and crucial to the well being of the organization.
- Finely honed communication skills – The BM will need to be able to communicate in writing and verbally with great precision and effectiveness:
- Upwards to the Chief of Staff and supporting leaders
- Laterally to others on the leadership team
- Downwards throughout the organizational chart
- Externally to other organizations
- Unimpeachable integrity – By reputation and by consistent performance, the BM must be viewed by the C-level executive as utterly trustworthy. Each stakeholder must also be confident that the BM is operating on a solid ethical foundation of personal values that are transparent.
- The ability to give and receive constructive criticism – Human nature and the nature of organizational behavior almost guarantee that the BM will often be operating in an environment when one or more initiatives are off-track, over-budget and behind-schedule. Supporting the COS and their Leaders in holding individuals accountable, coaching and correcting their performance is a crucial skill.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.