Did you know that Microsoft delivers more than 200 online services to more than one billion individuals worldwide? The Cloud Server Infrastructure (CSI) team defines and develops the hardware that powers these services, and we're looking for passionate, high-energy individuals to come join us!
Microsoft is a highly innovative company that collaborates across the industry to produce cutting edge technology that changes our world. The CSI Custom silicon system development team is responsible for definition, development and deployment of custom silicon accelerators for cloud and AI applications. We work closely with Microsoft product groups, industry partners and researchers to architect and develop server hardware solutions that meet the requirements for our cloud services platforms at the lowest possible cost of ownership (TCO).
Learn more about our team and projects here https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/ecosystem-momentum-positions-microsoft-s-project-olympus-as-de-facto-open-compute-standard/Responsibilities
This is an opportunity to leverage and grow your software and hardware systems experience in an innovative and highly collaborative environment where the results of your work will matter to Microsoft and Microsoft’s customers. This role offers a wide variety of challenges and incredible learning opportunities across multiple areas of Cloud services such as Networking, Storage, AI.
Microsoft has begun developing custom hardware for the Azure Cloud. The first instance is discussed in this blog.
The position is to manage the systems validation team for customized hardware. The team is responsible for testing new hardware designs, system validation and integration, diagnostic interfaces. The candidate should have experience with hardware validation, application exercisers, scripting and coding development, driver stacks, and integration with firmware. The contributions to delivering high-quality designs will result in success with Azure Cloud.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Manage and provide technical leadership to the hardware validation team
- Collaborate across multiple Microsoft teams to drive integration and applications
- Develop and run system level test cases for these hardware components, enabling broader and more extensive tests in production cloud environments.
- Lead cross-functional team root-cause investigations. Experience with lab debug will be a plus
- Drive cross-functional quality improvements focused on robust design
- Ability to collaborate effectively both autonomously and in teams.
A solid computer engineering background (MS in computer engineering or equivalent degree preferred).
- 5+ years of test and software development experience for new hardware
- Previous experience in all stages of a release cycle: design, implementation, test, diagnostics and production sustaining.
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid debugging, testing, and problem-solving skills
- Server and/or Networking hardware experience
- Driver and firmware experience
- Windows Server and Linux automation
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Deployment (CI) Workflows and Systems and Agile Practices
The hardware for operating these services (over 200 and counting), comprises of hundreds of thousands of servers spread globally and applications that reach hundreds of millions of users every day. Our customer-base is growing rapidly, our infrastructure investments are multiplying, and the size of our global infrastructure is increasing by the day - along with the scale of our challenges. Learn more about our team and projects here Azure Hardware Infrastructure
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.