Microsoft Services is looking for experienced industry professionals with Azure IaaS or Enterprise Open Source solutions who are interested in working as Premier Field Engineers, to help guide, support, and recommend Azure-based Solutions for our customers. If you're interested in joining a broader Azure team and have a background in Cloud technologies, including Azure, AWS, virtualization, or other Open Source software solutions, --this would be a great opportunity for you! You may have the chance to apply your skills to Microsoft's key customers and develop your career within our organization and the wider IT industry.
As a PFE, there are two roles that you may apply for: 1) Azure Infrastructure as a Service PFE, or 2) Open Source Software (OSS) PFE. The roles are the same; different technology backgrounds are required. You will work with customers to deploy workloads into Azure, that will maximize their investment. If you are an Open Source expert, you will be able to leverage your expertise in a growing area of the business, influencing deliveries in Services by being part of a dynamic team. Along with your own technical skills, you will have access to the Microsoft Product Group and a global network of subject matter experts. You can work and grow in a continuous learning environment that is Microsoft, a global leader in a "Mobile First, Cloud First" world, where you can help businesses around the world accelerate the benefits they derive from Microsoft products and technologies as they undergo their Digital Transformation.
PFE is the teaching and support part of the Services organization. We look for the following abilities:
• Implementing and solving problems related to Microsoft Azure
and its components (Networking, Compute, Storage)
• Solving problems or deploying Microsoft Active
Directory infrastructure, including Azure hybrid cloud deployments.
• Two plus years of experience crafting, implementing, or supporting Microsoft products in a medium to large enterprise.
• Excellent verbal and written communications, analytical and presentation skills.
• Ability to deliver presentations, discuss Microsoft Azure and complimentary products at a solutions level.
• Ability to handle customer critical issues and work in difficult situations
• Ability to perform self-directed learning in a rapidly changing environment
• Capabilities to operate in a flexible team environment with minimal supervision
• Should be highly credible with demonstrable ability to solve business problems and able to explain the benefits to the customer ranging from Business value to mastering deep technical explanations if needed
• Passion for customers, learning, having proven ability to be client focused, results-focused, proactive, collaborative and confident under pressure
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
• Passion for mentoring, training peers and sharing knowledge
• Great Communication skills, Presentation skills, Written skills, Customer/Partner relationships and expectations management
• Desire to learn new technologies
• Availability to travel up to 50% is an integral part of this job
We understand that people come from different technical backgrounds, so we are looking for folks that have Azure IaaS and/or Open-Source Software experience:
Role 1: Azure IaaS Premier Field Engineer
• A minimum of 2 years of Technical proficiency in Microsoft Azure Infrastructure planning, virtualization, networking, or other cloud technologies such as AWS
• Proficiency in one or more of the following: Azure PowerShell, CLI, Visual Studio, Python, Ruby, and Azure Resource Manager Templates.
• A successful candidate will possess many of the following skills and capabilities to:
o Experience designing and/or deploying private, public and/or hybrid cloud solutions.
o Experience implementing, and securing resources using best practices including Azure Active Directory, Azure App Service Apps and Virtual Networks.
o Experience designing networking and security solutions.
o Experience creating and managing Azure Resource Manager (ARM) virtual machines.
o Experience designing and implementing simple to complex storage strategies.
o Experience designing a solution for management, automation, monitoring, and business continuity.
o Experience collaborating in independently or across diverse solution delivery teams.
o Experience designing, implementing, and managing physical and virtual datacenters.
o An understanding of core networking, storage, compute and security concepts.
o Experience harvesting or re-using intellectual documentation on customer projects.
• Deep understanding of Windows Server 2012 - 2016, Hyper-V, MS Cluster Server/Multi-vendor Cluster, Active Directory & Azure Active Directory, Internet Explorer, IIS, SQL
• Experience giving presentations to technical and executive audiences, explaining cloud infrastructure solution concepts and benefits
Role 2: Open-Source Consultant
Candidates should have at least 3-5 years of industry experience in any of the following technical areas:
• Deployment of popular Linux distributions (such as RedHat, CentOS, SUSE and Ubuntu) and basic systems /security administration in large enterprise environments.
• Experience with change automation leveraging OSS configuration management and continuous delivery and integration solutions.
• Designing and deploying Native Cloud Infrastructure, leveraging Containers, Kubernetes and Serverless technologies from Microsoft, popular Open-Source Software (OSS) technologies, or 3rd party services.
• Real world practice of DevOps.
• Security architecture and design for complex cloud solutions.
Preferred Technical Skills
Successful candidates would typically have more than one of these qualifications:
• At least 3-5 years related IT experience on any platform (not necessarily Microsoft), having architected, designed, implemented, tested and deployed complex solutions on-premises, in the cloud, or spanning both.
• Experience migrating legacy customer solutions to the cloud.
• Advanced knowledge of cloud-native architecture concepts, understanding of high availability, scalability, resilience, performance, and security requirements in the cloud.
• Application modernization, leveraging Cloud platforms and micro-services.
• Proven hands-on project experience, preferable in large-scale customer environments, with:
o Infrastructure as Code - CI/CD and Provisioning tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Jenkins, Chef, Terraform, PowerShell, Bash, ARM Templates, and Azure CLI.
o Container orchestration engines such as Azure Service Fabric, Kubernetes, Docker swarm, Mesos, Amazon ECS.
o Agile/SCRUM methodologies and CI/CD processes.
• Familiarity with Open-Source servers (such as Apache, NGINX, RabbitMQ, Redis, Elasticsearch, Jetty).
• Data storage planning and deployment experience with products like SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, CosmosDB, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.
• Experience in writing software in one or more languages such as .Net, Java, Python, Node.js, R or similar.
• Knowledge of how to factor security, privacy, and compliance into a solution.
• Certifications in Linux/OSS, Azure, AWS or Google Cloud Platform will be a plus.
• Be able to pass following Azure Certifications in the first 12 months of employment:
o AZ-100: Microsoft Azure Infrastructure and Deployment
o AZ-101: Microsoft Azure Integration
Travel may be required for up to 25-50% for this position.
Microsoft Services, with over 21,500 employees worldwide, is dedicated to delivering on Microsoft's mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. We are the voice of support services, the trusted advisor of consulting services, and the source of the world's best enterprise strategies. Simply put, Services helps customers and partners get the most out of their technology investments, serving customers in 191 countries and 46 languages. For more information, visit www.microsoft.com/Services.
Microsoft values different life experiences and viewpoints. We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and encourage them to take risks and approach challenges unconventionally. We will invest in your health and financial future and encourage you to pursue your interests and passions away from the office. Our products and technologies help you balance life away from the office and enable you to manage your schedule efficiently.
Join us and be one who empowers billions! That's incredible reach. When you combine that with your own inspiration, plus the freedom and support to make your ideas happen, you can make a huge impact on how people work and live all over the world.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.