Director, Electrical Engineer
Microsoft’s Devices Hardware teams consist of progressive, diverse, and especially creative professionals who design, test and manufacture some of the best-loved computing and entertainment devices in the world. Our teams ship tens of millions of Xbox and Surface – Laptop, Pro, Book, Studio, and Hub -products every year. Come be part of what’s next!
We are looking for a motivated seasoned Director of Electrical Engineering to lead the Electrical Engineering system development of our next generation devices. A strong mix of technical breadth and depth will allow you to work multi-functionally with different disciplines (Industrial Design, Mechanical, Electrical, Thermal, Software and Firmware) to develop compelling innovative products. You will lead the team that is responsible the electrical design of the system to deliver the product experience that our customers expect. You will be responsible for clearly and regularly communicating technical progress to your peers and your manager in a timely manner.
As important as your technical ability, your daily actions will demonstrate appropriate cultural goals and dreams in order to harness creativity and passion among your team; building rapport with your colleagues and guiding a team of high-performing engineers. You will have a successful track record of leading an electrical engineering team to achieve on-time and on-cost delivery of quality products in the face of technical, organizational, and schedule challenges. You have a winning attitude to inspire the respect and confidence of your team and peers. You should have a demonstrated ability to partner with others to build strong ongoing relationships that support mutually beneficial business goals for Surface.Responsibilities
- Run and lead a team of electrical engineers from concept to delivering a high quality electrical design into mass production.
- Define and document electrical design requirements, flowing from the product requirements.
- Lead the team to deliver product documentation including specifications, electrical schematics, PCB layouts, and presentations to meet requirements and communicate the electrical design and its progress.
- Work cross functionally as a team with technology specialists in firmware, software, display, touch, wireless, and battery subsystems in order to design an integrated system.
- Foster innovation and develop intellectual property within your team’s product designs, including rapid prototyping to demonstrate new concepts.
- Use proven development processes to guarantee engineering excellence in the designs. This includes leading design reviews, reviewing margin analysis, proof by simulation, and design for safety, compliance, reliability, manufacturing, and test.
- Collaborate with suppliers, contractors, and engineering services to ensure that the product is developed on time with high quality.
- Lead design/debug investigations and support development, maintenance, failure analysis, and related issue resolution activities.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- Strong communication skills required, including the ability to clearly express technical concepts in verbal and written forms at the executive level.
- Demonstrated leadership and collaboration skills.
- 5+ years of experience leading the design of high-volume consumer electronics products of medium to high complexity.
- 10+ years of hands-on design and factory bring up of a broad-range of tablet/laptop sub-systems ranging from: digital, analog, power, RF, audio, video, charging, display, sensors, and batteries.
- Proficiency in high speed digital design, signal integrity, power delivery, and high-density PCB design.
- Strong understanding of EMI/RFI mitigation techniques and its impact in mobile / cellular products.
- Creative problem solving, debug and failure analysis skills with a solid understanding of core engineering principles, fundamental circuit design, and analytical techniques.
- Experience preferred with Intel PC architectures and implementation of high-speed busses (SATA, PCIe, USB, DDR3/4, GDDR6, etc).
- International travel is required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.