The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is seeking a full-time Digital Communications Manager to build and grow an online community of Michigan LCV members by creating and sharing inspiring and informative content that calls people to action to protect Michigan’s land, air and water. The ideal candidate will be a natural at creating conversations that people want to be a part of and building a sense of community and belonging online. They will know how to maximize tools, technology, and resources to motivate people to stop scrolling and take action and they are looking for an opportunity to apply those skills to win victories air and clean water in Michigan. This position is an opportunity to apply the power and potential of online advocacy to protecting the Great Lakes State, grow a program into a successful model, and organize Michigan LCV’s statewide membership to make real, enduring change.
About the Michigan League of Conservation Voters:
The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is a statewide political organization whose mission is to elect pro-conservation candidates to office and to hold all decision makers accountable for protecting Michigan’s land, air and water. We work closely with elected officials, business leaders, partner organizations and advocates from across the state, and we have built a reputation as the leading, non-partisan political voice for Michigan’s land, air and water.
Michigan LCV is an equal opportunity employer. We assure equal treatment in hiring selection, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, training, discipline and other personnel practices and terms or conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, height, weight, marital status, genetic testing status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender status, or any other protected class established by all applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
- Collecting stories from the field: Acting as a reporter in the field, covering our major events and organizing opportunities, collecting video footage, photos, quotes and takeaways, and leveraging that content to drive engagement and action online.
- Managing and growing an activist email program: Designing, writing, and implementing email campaigns that advance campaigns and policy goals, meet activists where they are, and provide meaningful ways to get involved.
- Managing and growing a social media program: Build a sense of community through quality online conversation and real-time sharing of our stories in the field, as well as daily news and actions that connect to our organizing and policy goals.
- Building an online-to-offline activist pipeline: Work with our Outreach team to build a pipeline for activists who join Michigan LCV online and want to volunteer in person, or vice versa.
- List building, testing and segmenting: Brings strategy and innovation to our digital program by building new, quality lists and testing new tactics to reach and engage new audiences.
- Tracking and reporting: Supporting the Communications Director by tracking results of communications program, including email and social results and earned media coverage, and using that information to make better decisions.
- Traveling: Being on the road and outside of the office regularly to cover events, interview members, and capture stories about local land, air and water issues. Estimated to be 4 - 5 days per month.
We are seeking candidates who know what it takes to design and run creative, impactful online advocacy campaigns, who can craft stories and start conversations quickly and relay them across digital platforms, who write and speak in an authentic, approachable voice, and who are goal-setters and results-oriented. You should have:
- A sense of humor that shines through in your writing and conversations with people from all kinds of backgrounds and a comfort with building relationships across lines of difference,
- An ability to write quickly and clearly, with experience interviewing people you’ve never met before and reporting on topics that were new to you,
- Successfully grown an online community by creating and sharing content that hooked people and kept them engaged,
- Enough tech-savviness to learn new digital platforms quickly, with experience using email advocacy databases and systems and website platforms like WordPress,
- Top-notch organizational, time, and project management skills with practice balancing short-term deadlines with long-term deliverables and multiple story-lines, conversations, and tasks to stay on top of,
- Ability to break down complex environmental issues/policy into digestible and understandable information for the general public.
- Experience working with databases (VAN, Every Action, Etc.) preferred.
- Experience writing emails with compelling calls to action/fundraising asks. Strong preference for candidates with prior experience using CRMs (mail-chimp, Every Action, Phone 2 Action).
- Proficiency with WordPress is highly preferred,
- Demonstrated experience using storytelling on social media.
- Knack for and understanding of the political process, including how the legislature operates. Demonstrated experience working on elections and politics is highly preferred.
- An approach to new ideas with a sense of possibility,
Belief in Michigan LCV’s mission to protect access to and abundance of clean air, clean water, and public land.Benefits and Compensation Michigan LCV offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes the following: health and dental coverage, long-term and short-term disability coverage, life insurance coverage, a retirement savings program, reimbursements for business-related travel, a generous paid time off policy, and a team of smart, funny and kind colleagues working together to deliver on a mission that matters.
Our sister organization, the Michigan LCV Education Fund, uses personal stories and state-of-the-art information tools to make complex issues understandable, empowering every Michigander to make smart choices for their family and effectively voice concerns to elected leaders.