Michele Shaw, P.S. is a sole-practitioner criminal defense law office in Seattle, WA. We practice in Federal, State, and local courts in Western Washington. Criminal cases include misdemeanors and felonies, with both juvenile and adult clients. We also do some civil work in CPS Dependencies and Protection Orders. To be considered, candidates must have 3 years experience in a law office, preferably with criminal law background. This position will assist Michele in overseeing the daily operations of the office by making sure everything is completed on schedule and organized. Remote working will be encouraged after sufficient training/familiarization with the practice.
This is a full-time position. Schedule is 8:00-5:00pm with a 1-hour lunch break. You will handle a variety of legal secretarial and paralegal duties as generally described below (but not limited to).
Job Description/Tasks (open to discussion)
Some of these tasks will not be relevant while working from home, but are being set forth with the exception that at some point employee will be in our physical office.
- Assists attorney with all cases, including pre-charge, pre-trial matters, and with trial.
- New client intake.
- Client contact (phone, email, and in person post-COVID).
- Maintain organization of electronic and physical client files.
- Maintain organization of electronic general office file.
- Obtain, assemble and organize materials for mitigation and trial materials; this often includes requesting and obtaining medical records, court records, and submitting Public Disclosure Requests to various law enforcement agencies.
- Assist in preparation of statements and declarations of witnesses.
- Assist in scheduling meetings (in person and remote), hearings, and telephone calls.
- Copying, faxing, scanning, and screening phone calls.
- Check, organize, and respond to both high-frequency email correspondence and regular mail.
- Order office supplies.
- Draft, revise, edit, and proofread attorney correspondence and pleadings.
- Filing of pleadings in city, state and federal courts (including e-filing).
- Assist in managing attorney calendar and coordinate obligations.
- Prepare engagement letters for new clients
- Prepare monthly billings.
- Pay bills, enter credit card charges, and process deposits (both via check and credit card).
- Manage firm’s QB files.
- Coordinate with bookkeeper/CPA for documents and information needed for quarterly and annual tax filings.
- Familiarity with Discovery and eDiscovery tools, especially in cases with large amounts of electronic discovery
- E-Filing in multiple jurisdictions
- Knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn WDWA Federal, Washington state and King County local court rules and procedure.
- Experience with QuickBooks and basic bookkeeping
- Ability to work from home (for duration of COVID 19 pandemic)
- Ability to work efficiently and interact in a positive manner with clients and attorney while under time pressure or in stressful situations.
- Exemplary communication and customer services
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- Handle highly confidential internal and external matters
- Organized and proficient in handling multiple client files; ability to prioritize and multitask
- The ability to perform and execute time sensitive tasks
- Detail oriented
- Motivated self-starter
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; good grammar, punctuation, spelling
- Good office and computer skills (MS Office)
- Proper phone etiquette
- Must be reliable, accountable and flexible
This position will support and work collaboratively with the owner of the firm to manage cases.
Remote video interview option available. Please send a resume and cover letter describing relevant work experience and salary expectations in MS Word and/or PDF format to email@example.com. All job inquires will be kept strictly confidential.
Michele Shaw, P.S.