Product Development Manager
- Posted: over a month ago
What is the role?
The Product Development (PD) Manager is responsible for managing new and enhanced product development through to the product launch. New products include research, programs, and services that substantially differ from those things Michaels delivers today. The ideas may originate from anyone in the company, a client request or need, or an RFP request that allows for creativity in product design. This position also involves identifying opportunities for marketable products with a focus on feasibility, client need or opportunity, design optimization, customer experience, delivery methods, and profitability.
The PD Manager will collaborate with members of the executive team on all development efforts. They will coordinate with the delivery teams, engineering, and other departments as needed for expertise, market intelligence, feasibility, estimating impacts or benefits, and pricing.
This position requires strong organizational, planning, and communication skills. Initially, the PD Manager will be charged with all the above. As the role grows, elements of product development may be delegated to future support staff. This is an exciting opportunity to shape a new position at Michaels Energy!
- Manage all product development projects initiation through product launch
- Determines level and type of resources needed and works with managers to secure resources
- Sets the project timeline and monitors progress
- Reports to supervisor weekly on the status of open projects
- Lead new product design process
- Lead ideation sessions with the development team (Visionary, Director Sales & Marketing, Department Heads, et al.)
- Conduct market research, analyze industry trends and developments
- Estimate costs and benefits for Michaels, clients, and customers
- Coordinate with Marketing & Sales to identify target market(s) and ideal marketing and sales strategies
- Support Proposal Writing for New Programs and Services
- Provide program design when new opportunities arise through sole source or competitive bids
- Support Product Launch
- Work with the Product Manager and delivery team to ensure a successful product launch
- Track and report on key product launch metrics
- Refine product design as appropriate and beneficial
After 3 months, you will have….
- Developed a Product Development process to align with the Michaels organization, values, and long-term goals
- Developed a new product business case model for ensuring profitability
- Conducted an initial market scan to determine immediate opportunities for new products or services
- Learned the proposal process
- Met with the Leadership Team one-on-one and with other key positions critical to the success of this role
After 6 months, you will have….
- Identified a new product or service
- Implemented the Product Development process
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- An MBA or Master’s degree is a plus
- Minimum of two years experience in product development, or a similar role
- Project management skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to lead with cross-functional teams
- Up to 10% for travel to Michaels locations
- Any Michaels Energy locations or remote/work from home
AddressLa Crosse, WI
BusinessView all jobs at Michaels Energy