- Under general supervision, perform work of moderate difficulty in connection with the purchasing of materials, supplies and equipment.
Examples of Duties:
- Essential Functions: Assist the Purchasing Agent as directed in the purchasing of materials, supplies and equipment utilizing mainframe and personal computer based programs and software; prepare advertising copy for bids; assist in preparing specifications for materials and equipment to be purchased; meet with suppliers; consult with District personnel to establish performance criteria and construction and test specifications; investigate manufacturers and recommend those most desirable; maintain files; check shipments and delivery schedules; assist District personnel with purchasing problems; arrange for or negotiate exchanges of damaged goods; prepare and issue purchase orders; compile data for and prepare reports, including monthly Purchase Report.
- Additional Responsibilities: Perform related work as required or as delegated by supervisor.
- Training and Experience: Graduation from high school or equivalent and completion of two years of college level course work in purchasing or related field, and three years of progressively responsible experience in buying materials, supplies and equipment in sizeable quantities.
- Desirable Knowledge Skills and Abilities: Good knowledge of the practices and procedures for purchasing materials and equipment for a large organization; skill in analyzing market and delivery conditions; skill in preparing market analysis reports; skill in preparing written specifications; skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with suppliers, District personnel, and others; skill in communicating effectively both in oral and written form; skill in maintaining records and preparing reports; skill in the use of word processing, data base and spreadsheet software.
- Pursuant to MSD's "Substance Abuse Policy and Procedures," this position has been designated as non-safety sensitive and candidate must pass a Non-D.O.T. Drug Test for this position. Employees occupying this position are not subject to Federal (D.O.T.) Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulations.
Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District
Why Work Here?The Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District (MSD) is a Missouri State special purpose political subdivision that is responsible for the St. Louis areas storm water and sewer collection and treatment. MSD ranks in the nation's top wastewater utilities, and anticipates spending approximately $4.7 billion on capital investment and asset sustainability over a multi-decade period.
Steady, challenging work with a great work/life balance.
Saint Louis, MO