Community Engagement Research Assistant
- Expired: September 01, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
Dedicated to shaping a better, bolder, more equitable future for everyone, Metropolitan Planning Council (MPC) believes that every neighborhood has promise. Every community should be heard. And every person can thrive. Since 1934, this independent, nonpartisan organization has served metropolitan Chicago'scommunities and residents to change perceptions, reimagine conversations, and defy the status quo. Throughthoughtful collaborationwith local communities, businesses, and governments, MPC is a bold change-maker,addressingthe region's toughest planning and development challenges. We believe that strong partnerships rooted in respect and trust are critical to creative and effective problem-solving.
MPC is a values-driven workplace, and we are seeking candidates with a demonstrated commitment to creating a region that is:
- Equitable:For MPC, equity means that every individual and community in our region has the opportunities they need to thrive. Promoting equity means that we recognize the harm that discrimination and racism have caused and continue to pose to our lives and neighborhoods. That's why we drive policies, investments and ideas that ensure all current and future residents can reach their full potential.
- Prosperous:For MPC, prosperity means that both metropolitan Chicago and all of its people are economically healthy and prepared for growth. MPC is focused on ensuring that everyone who lives and works in our region can provide for themselves and their families. We support commitments that bring resources, development, and fairly paid and quality jobs to all communities.
- Sustainable:For MPC, sustainability means that our region meets the natural, human and financial needs of the present while improving conditions for future generations. MPC's agenda supports ecological vitality, residents' health and economic stability for the long term, and ensures that as things change, our region adapts.
- Engaged and Responsible:For MPC, civic participation and effective government are cornerstones of our region's viability. We drive policies that strengthen the participation and impact of residents in local and regional decisions. We also promote adaptive, collaborative, just and transparent governance at all levels.
Research assistants (RAs) play an important role at MPC, offering essential support for our projects by researching, writing and learning about planning policy in the region. Research Assistants at MPC have exposure to a broad range of regional policy issues and the opportunity to connect with a variety of planning agencies, community groups and officials. Strong candidates are talented writers, investigators, communicators, and/or GIS users. An understanding of transportation, housing and urban development policy, regional and state government, and community development is preferred. Compensation for research assistant positions is $15 per hour and provide a $35 transportation subsidy. We welcome students seeking course credit to apply.
We're currently recruiting RAs for fall and winter 2022, particularly for the following priority projects:
Under the Housing and Community Development program, this research assistant will work with the community engagement team to plan and facilitate a series of virtual stakeholder engagement roundtables to build a broader strategy and vision for community engagement in Chicago. In addition, the research assistant will support work around the Corridor Development Initiative (CDI), a participatory planning process that allows communities to proactively plan for development scenarios. This is an 8-week paid internship of 10 hours a week, with the possibility of an extension into the winter. We are seeking a research assistant with experience in:
- Understanding of equitable engagement, background or interest in urban planning and public policy.
- Project management, community and stakeholder engagement, ability to work and engage with diverse partners.
- Ability to evaluate, coordinate and facilitate stakeholder interviews, surveys, focus groups, etc. with strong record keeping skills.
No phone calls please.
MPC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.Employment Type: CONTRACTOR
Metropolitan Planning Council
Get fresh Community Engagement Research Assistant jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.