The Psychiatric Registered Nurse (RN) provides standard nursing care to guests experiencing mental health challenges in the Evaluation and Treatment Center (E&T).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides nursing care following established nursing service objectives and standards.
- Ensures that all safety and infection control practices are followed.
- Distributes and documents medications (including narcotics) according to established standards and regulations; oversees Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN’s) on shared shift who are providing medication administration.
- Distributes and documents medications (including narcotics) according to established standards and regulations; oversees LPN providing same service.
- Updates Medication Administration Records in a timely and accurate manner for all clients as orders change; oversees LPN providing same service.
- Responds to emergency situations and is ultimately a leader in their position when on shift to help support the nursing staff in delivery of services to the E&T guests
- Documents all provided services in the E&T guest’s electronic medical record, ensuring that required documentation is complete and is in compliance with regulations, standards and established deadlines in accordance with WAC laws
- Instructs E&T guests in required health hygiene techniques and provides support when necessary
- Communicates with guests and families (family is defined by the guest) regarding treatment and care
- Assures confidentiality is always maintained
- Completes administrative documentation in a timely and accurate manner, such as time sheets, time off requests, etc.
- Provides all required annual documentation to Human Resources and completes all required training in a timely manner
- Nursing Diploma with Bachelor’s degree
- Current license as a Registered Nurse without any restrictions and experience in chemical dependency, mental health, medical surgical procedures or other areas of nursing relevant to the position
- The incumbent must pass a criminal background check
- Must have current TB test or x-ray at time of hire
- Must have a current First Aid/CPR card per licensing requirements
- Must be able to successfully pass MDC’s physical intervention training within 30 days of hire.
- Must be able to successfully re-certify in MDC’s physical intervention training on an annual basis.