MDC seeks dynamic and care-oriented individuals to provide therapeutic support for guests with mental health, behavioral health and substance abuse issues in an inpatient treatment setting. Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners are responsible for initial psychiatric assessments and subsequent face to face follow up care for medication evaluation and management, including managing and prescribing psychotropic medications for guests served at MDC’s Evaluation & Treatment Center.
The MDC Evaluation and Treatment Center (E&T) is a 16 bed facility operating 24/7. ARNP’s work directly with guests to assist in progress towards their treatment of mental health. Previous experience working in a recovery or psychiatric environment, or familiarity with guest-driven treatment is highly desirable.
This position is an integral part of the E&T treatment team and works in direct collaboration with internal staff and other health care professionals in the community. External community partners may include providers at other organizations, families, court personnel, employers, Department of Social and Health Services, hospital staff, law enforcement, pharmacy personnel, laboratory personnel, or others whom our guests feel are important to their recovery. ARNP discussions often include information of a confidential nature, so extreme care must be taken to prevent inappropriate disclosure of E&T guest treatment information.
The work is fitting for strong individuals who thrive and understand care situations often involving high levels of stress and crisis; as such, we seek individuals with a high degree of patience and diplomacy. This position performs work in a locked inpatient mental health facility, and includes interaction with individuals who have potential unpredictable behaviors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs routine medical and psychiatric examinations on E&T guests under established guidelines.
- Provides medical and psychiatric treatment and services consistent with the provision of basic health care services in conjunction with a physician/ARNP.
- Reviews regularly cases requiring ongoing medical/pharmaceutical attention.
- Documents all provided services in the E&T guests’ medical record, ensuring that required documentation is complete and in compliance with regulations, standards and established deadlines in accordance with WAC laws.
- Instructs E&T guests in required health hygiene techniques and provides support when necessary.
- Maintains compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Communicates with patients and families regarding treatment and care when necessary.
- Assures confidentiality is always maintained.
- Provides all required annual documentation to Human Resources and complete all required training in a timely manner.
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing
- Current, unrestricted license to practice as a registered nurse in Washington State
- Certified to practice as an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner in Washington state with specific psychiatric discipline
- 2 years of direct work experience as ARNP – Mental Health
- Knowledge and understanding of mental health disorders
- Knowledge of symptom management skills
- Advanced understanding of psychotropic medication
- Ability to submit a copy of professional license and obtain credentialing with insurance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and computer skills
- Must be able to successfully pass MDC’s physical intervention training within 30 days of hire.
- Must be able to successfully re-certify in MDC’s physical intervention training on an annual basis.
- Degree in social services related field and 1 year experience working with the mentally ill population in a residential setting or inpatient setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the Pierce County public mental health system and community resources is desirable