Metropolitan Detroit Area Hospital Services is currently looking for an Afternoon Shift Supervisor.
Working with the Production Manager / Plant Manager on an assigned shift, direct, coordinate and assist in departmental activities of laundry production and distribution workers and equipment engaged in the functions of processing linens and garments, such as soiled linen handling, washing, ironing, drying, folding, stain spotting, mending, etc.
Regularly supervise and direct the work of laundry production and distribution workers in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
Make recommendations regarding selection and retention of employees.
Make recommendations and/or administer employee discipline and appraise performance of direct reports.
Train employees in accordance with organization’s policies and procedures.
Execute planned production operations, established priorities and workflow for laundry processes.
Execute prepared operational schedules and laundry activities, in conjunction with supervision of employees to ensure that production and quality of products meet standards, specifications and requirements.
Prepare production and operating reports and records and submit them to the Production Manager or Plant Manager.
Inspect machines and equipment to ensure specific operational performance and optimum utilization and productivity. Report any problems to the Production Manager or Plant Manager and follow up to ensure that problems are resolved.
Suggest changes in standard operational and working practices, submit them to the Production Manager or Plant Manager for consideration and monitor workers to ensure compliance with standards.
Receive worker concerns and verbal grievances and resolve them or refer unsettled concerns or grievances to the Production Manager or Plant Manager.
Responsible for safe and secure operation of the Production Department, fostering a high degree of safety and safety-consciousness among all production workers and applying all safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High School/Diploma/G.E.D.
- 1 year related experience
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in resource allocation, leadership techniques, production methods and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
- Give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitor/Assess performance of individuals to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Talk to others to convey information effectively.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Watch gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine or system is working properly.
- Control operations of equipment or systems.
- Determine causes of operating errors and decide what to do.
- Databases - Use computer applications to manage logistics and labor productivity system information.
- Other: Use e-mail, tablet and/or walkie-talkie to send and receive information.
Resource Management Skills:
- Manage one's own time and the time of others.
- Motivate, develop and direct employees as they work; identify the best people for the job.
The primary responsibility of this position is to act as a front-line supervisor, responsible for directing the work of plant laundry production and distribution employees on an assigned shift.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of conditions including warm and cold temperatures. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The position is active and the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, move around, bend, kneel and crouch.
This job requires the employee to push/pull objects such as empty linen carts weighing at least 25 pounds frequently and push/pull full linen carts weighing at least 50 pounds frequently.
No travel is expected for this position.
Perform duties of Production Manager and/or production workers in their absence.
Maintain departmental orderliness and cleanliness.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice and the employee may be required to perform other tasks.
Job Type: Full-time
Metropolitan Detroit Area Hospital Services
Why Work Here?Metropolitan Detroit Area Hospital Services (MDAHS) began operations in the early spring of 1972. As a newly formed co-operative laundry, our sole purpose was to provide linen service to the four founding members: Pontiac General Hospital, St Joseph Mercy Hospital (Ann Arbor), Sidney A. Sumby Memorial Hospital (River Rouge), and Wyandotte General Hospital. We have been fulfilling an important need of the medical community since our inception – quality healthcare linen services. As of April 2019, we have announced plans for an exciting new facility funded by a joint venture between Henry Ford Health System, Michigan Medicine and St. Joseph Health System. Our new 105,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility will include a sustainable design incorporating recycled materials, eco-friendly cleaning products and a wastewater heat reclamation system. The MDAHS team is excited to contribute to the care and comfort of a greater number of medical patients than ever before.
Steady work with an organization with future growth opportunities.