- Performs and may rotate through a variety of routine laundry-linen duties such as feeding, receiving, folding, sorting, counting, tying, patching linens, with and without the use of equipment.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $13.16 to $13.26 /hour
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- ·Receives clean damp linens from continuous washing system conditioners and sorts and lays them out in baskets. Places some items on the conveyor.
- ·Sorts, distributes, and lays out clean damp linens on conveyors from conditioners.
- ·Receives clean dry linens on conveyors from dryers and folds, stacks, counts, and ties into bundles. Sorts, counts, and/or bundles clean dry mophead, laundry bags, and new linens.
- ·Receives clean dry linens, along with still damp linens, from dryers and sorts them into baskets and carts.
- Sorts small piece damp linens and apparel from sorting tables into baskets.
- Feeds items into flatwork ironing machinery. Presses appropriate button or otherwise alerts receiver of stained or torn linens.
- Receives linens from flatwork ironing machinery or folders and sorts, folds, stacks, counts, and ties into bundles and places in carts and on shelves.
- Feeds dry fold items into automatic folder and receives and tied them into bundles.
- May sort and record number of stained and torn linens as part of linen control system.
- May operate steam cabinet to finish garments, and fold and/or hang garments on racks.
- May operate heat patching machine as needed.
- May handle supplies and/or new linens, loving them into and from the storeroom and general plant areas.
- May record various figures and information on forms, such as number of items processed, and stained and torn articles set aside.
- May assist in picking up linens, debris, and litter in and around the work areas.
- Performs related and other duties as required.
- Work Environment:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work in plant/production environment and is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to chemicals and a variety of conditions including warm and cold temperatures, heat and humidity and outdoor weather. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move items up to 20 pounds.
Metropolitan Detroit Area Hospital Services
Why Work Here?Metropolitan Detroit Area Hospital Services (MDAHS) began operations in the early spring of 1972. As a newly formed co-operative laundry, our sole purpose was to provide linen service to the four founding members: Pontiac General Hospital, St Joseph Mercy Hospital (Ann Arbor), Sidney A. Sumby Memorial Hospital (River Rouge), and Wyandotte General Hospital. We have been fulfilling an important need of the medical community since our inception – quality healthcare linen services. As of April 2019, we have announced plans for an exciting new facility funded by a joint venture between Henry Ford Health System, Michigan Medicine and St. Joseph Health System. Our new 105,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility will include a sustainable design incorporating recycled materials, eco-friendly cleaning products and a wastewater heat reclamation system. The MDAHS team is excited to contribute to the care and comfort of a greater number of medical patients than ever before.
Steady work with an organization with future growth opportunities.