The Metropolitan Area Planning Council seeks an IT Helpdesk Support Generalist to provide information technology support to staff in an innovative and growing public agency. Principal responsibilities will include providing customer service support to our internal staff by responding to all inbound IT help desk requests and other support as needed. Other duties will include remote support and troubleshooting desktops, laptops, printers, VOIP phone systems, and other hardware devices within a structured IT enterprise environment. The ideal candidate will be positive, detail-oriented, and committed to a more sustainable and equitable region. Over time, the position will offer opportunities for professional development and to take on greater responsibility for systems administration and IT planning.
This is a unique opportunity to work as part of a dynamic, collaborative, and interdisciplinary team focused on using data and technology to support informed regional planning. The Data Services Department is recognized as a national leader in data dissemination, regional indicators, scenario modeling, spatial analysis, and open source interactive websites.
MAPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in metropolitan Boston. Our mission is to promote smart growth and regional collaboration. We are guided by MetroFuture: Making a Greater Boston Region, our regional policy plan for the region, which was adopted in 2008. We are currently working on a successor regional plan, MetroCommon2050, which we expect to complete by 2020. MAPC's staff includes approximately 100 full-time employees located in downtown Boston in a transit-accessible and bike-friendly office.
MAPC encourages all of our staff to develop new ideas to make MAPC's planning and policy work more relevant and impactful, and to adapt to changing times. We strongly support the professional development of each and every staff person, believing their growth to be consistent with the best interests of MAPC and the region. For more information about MAPC, MetroFuture, and MetroCommon, please visit www.mapc.org .
- Provide first and second-tier IT support to MAPC staff both on- and off-site, addressing issues that cannot be resolved by junior help desk specialist. Escalate problems when required to the appropriately experienced team member;
- Log incoming help requests from end users via telephone, ticket system, Slack messenger, in person and email in a courteous and timely manner;
- Provide support for Windows & Mac desktops/laptops, printers, telephones and other IT infrastructure with a focus on customer service;
- Assist Systems Administrator and IT Manager with administration of on-site and cloud-hosted servers, as needed;
- Install, configure and troubleshoot laptops, desktops, and Citrix virtual desktop systems (via thin clients);
- Perform asset management activities and recommend upgrades where necessary (inventory tracking, IT supply, etc.);
- Assist colleagues across agency with projects and tasks where needed;
- Occasionally, attend external meetings to provide on-site IT support;
- Process and document department purchase orders;
- Create and configure user accounts, facilitate the IT component of onboarding new employees; and
- Create and maintain documentation for technical tasks regularly done by employees;
- B.S. in related discipline, or 3 years of prior desktop support/IT administration experience;
- Strong technical troubleshooting and support skills with a focus around Microsoft technologies and MS Office 365 products;
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS
- Excellent communications skills both verbal and written to technical and non-technical staff
- Strong understanding of Windows (7, 8.X, 10) and Mac OS
- Experience with Virtualization technologies - Hyper-V, VMware or Citrix XenServer (preferred)
- Strong working knowledge of Active Directory
- Excellent time management and problem-solving skills; ability to prioritize assigned projects, help desk calls, and emails
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Ability to travel to meeting locations throughout the region, if needed.
- A criminal background check (CORI) is required for this position
The following are preferred qualifications for the position:
- VOIP experience (Cisco preferred)
- Working knowledge of enterprise wireless networking (setup, troubleshooting, etc.)
- Working knowledge of using remote desktop software. VNC, Citrix XenApp, and Citrix technologies are preferred.
- Working knowledge of geospatial and statistical programs such as ArcGIS, R Studio, Python, and PostgreSQL.
- Experience with helpdesk ticket systems
- Experience with configuration and maintenance of Amazon servers. Linux Server experience (Ubuntu preferred) or other Linux OS's
This is a full time position. The starting salary ranges from $55,000 to $65,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. MAPC offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits as well as a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment.
How to Apply
The position is open until filled, and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Those who are interviewed will be asked to submit three (3) references. A brief questionnaire regarding details of the position may be given at the time of an interview.
Apply online at www.mapc.org/jobs. Please attach a cover letter and resume. A review of applications will begin immediately. The position is open until filled. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver's license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region.
MAPC is an EOE/AA employer. MAPC takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply. Employment Type: Full Time