Serves as a support resource to patients, families and guests, unit nursing staff, allied health departments, medical staff, by assisting the unit clinical leadership with coordination of patient care services, through the provision of information and directions, securing the assistance and resources, and troubleshooting initial customer service concerns. Facilitates the electronic storage and retrieval of patient records/orders by acting as a resource to physicians/clinicians providing the first level system support. This is done in a manner, which reflects the vision, mission and philosophy of nursing and Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare. The Unit Coordinator is expected to provide exceptional customer service. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in MLH Mission, Vision and Values.
A High School graduate or equivalent.
Associates Degree in business or health care (medical office management/health unit coordination).
One year previous medical clerical experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
- Compliance with healthcare information privacy and security regulations (HIPAA) required.
- Working knowledge of computer data entry/retrieval skills (MS Office Suite); prior experience with electronic medical record systems preferred.
- General knowledge of computer and peripheral operation for troubleshooting wireless device connectivity, launching/login changes, charging equipment, equipment storage, network logins, online help desk tickets, and intranet site utilization.
- Strong customer service experience in retail or healthcare setting.
- Must have ability to use basic office equipment; multi-line phones; good data entry skills and have legible handwriting.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills to effectively and cordially communicate with a range of highly skilled medical professionals, patients and visitors.
- Requires attention to detail and ability to think through routine to moderately complex situations
- Must maintain confidentiality of personal and sensitive data.
- Customer Service Support – Provides support to patients, Partners in Care, other family and guests. Is proactive in order to provide information, comfort and support to patients and their loved ones. Also quickly responds to concerns, needs and comments, by ensuring accurate and effective communication.
- Supports the timely and accurate use of all medical record forms and documentation of information.
- Processing orders.
- Assistance with coordination of Patient Care Services.
- Online tools support.
- Unit operations support.
- The physical activities of this position may include climbing, pushing, standing, hearing, walking, reaching, grasping, kneeling, stooping, and repetitive motion.
- Must have good balance and coordination.
- The physical requirements of this position are: medium work - exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 25 lbs. of force frequently.
- The Associate is required to have close visual acuity including color, depth perception, and field of vision to perform an activity, such as assessing patients, preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; or extensive reading.
- Exposure to patient body fluids as well as exposure to hazardous or poisonous materials.
- Ability to react quickly to emergency situations.