The Supervisor, Coding is responsible for planning, implementing, and controlling the activities and operations of coders to ensure quality of coding in patient records. Responsible for the supervision of system implementations/transitions. Responsible for analyzing, coding, and sequencing medical information detailing that clinical assessment of the patient. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in MLH Mission, Vision and Values.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Five years of multi-specialty coding experience.
Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P)
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
Two year degree in billing and coding from an accredited school.
Experience in a Lead or Supervisory position.
- Expert level knowledge of medical and clinical terminology, disease processes, and pharmacology.
- Skilled in auditing charts.
- Proficient skills in computer programs.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Understands and interprets policies, procedures and medical charts.
- Ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to conduct complex work and contribute to measurable team and/or organizational objectives.
- Responsible for planning, implementing, and controlling the activities and operations of coders to ensure quality of coding in patient records.
- Supports coding staff in assigning the appropriate ICD-9-CM and CPT codes to medical records and in developing proficiency in use of HIM software and mainframe applications.
- Maintains proven coding skills as evidenced by periodic coding quality and productivity reviews.
- Interacts with physicians when necessary.
- Provides education to physicians and staff in requirements of documentation for proper reimbursement.
- Performs chart auditing.
- Performs other job functions as requested.
- The physical activities of this position may include climbing, pushing, standing, hearing, walking, reaching, grasping, kneeling, stooping, and repetitive motion.
- Must have good balance and coordination.
- The physical requirements of this position are: light work - exerting up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently.
- The Associate is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity, such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; or extensive reading.
- The conditions to which the Associate will be subject in this position: The Associate is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions; job functions are typically performed under conditions such as those found in general office or administrative work.