Senior Accountant, Merchant Accounting
- Posted: over a month ago
At Merrick Bank, our mission is to provide exceptional service to our Independent Sales Organizations (ISO) clients to give them the competitive edge in the Acquiring industry to help expand their portfolio.Â The Senior Merchant Accountant position is responsible for the completion of daily, weekly and monthly merchant settlement related functions including reconciliation, research of suspense items and preparation of monthly residual statements. This position is an excellent opportunity to understand the full circle of a credit card transaction as it relates to the merchant, work independently while maintaining a high level of accuracy and being involved in learning new processes within the Merchant Accounting group.Â They are considered a subject matter expert and can provide assistance to their coworkers.
- Reconciles and clears various suspense accounts including clearing suspense, residuals, and reserves. Understand how suspense accounts work, ensures that residuals are accurate and settled timely and reserves are balanced daily and appropriate approvals have been received.
- Prepares monthly journal entries and residual statements with limited supervision and prepares requests for payment of such residuals for the Bankâs ISO clients.
- Researches items that do have an appropriate offset and clear these items from suspense in a timely manner.
- Identifies anomalies in the merchant accounting process, research, understand the issue, and make recommendations as to how to resolve.
- Communicates with the appropriate parties, internal or external, to ensure compliance with Bank timeframes and deadlines.
- Completes a variety of daily, weekly, and monthly schedules
- First point of contact for ISO requests and communicates directly with ISO clients in a professional/knowledgeable manner.
- Assists and mentors team members with daily and monthly processes when needed.Â
- Assists management with special projects and compile data for audit requests.
- Assists team members with escalated items as assigned per management.
- Assists management to improve and automate processes in the subject they are an expert in.
Compliance with Laws & Regulations:Â
- Responsible for complying with all of the Bankâs internal control policies and procedures.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with all laws and regulations to which the Bank is subject.
- Responsible for communicating problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, noncompliance with laws and regulations, policy violations, or illegal acts.Â
Education and Experience:
- Bachelorâs degree in finance-related studies or equivalent broad experience is required, four (4) years of related and equivalent experience accepted in lieu of education requirement.
- Five (5) years of accounting or financial industry, experience is required.Â Â Â
Summary of Qualifications:
- Experience with, and demonstrated skill at, the following computer applications:Â Spreadsheet (Excel preferred), and E-mail.Â
- Knowledge of Merchant Accounting and Oracle General Ledger preferred.
- Ability to identify and solve practical problems with little or no supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; presents ideas in a clear, concise, understandable and organized manner.Â
- Ability to make suggestions based on experience to improve the daily settlement process and monthly reconciliation process.Â
- Knowledge of Bankâs merchant settlement functions and processes. Expert knowledge in one or more process.Â
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain focus and positive attitude under pressure.Â
Our Valued EmployeesÂ are provided generous benefits, including:
- Competitive PayÂ
- Benefits Package -Medical, Dental and Vision (plus much more)Â
- 401(k) Plan with Company MatchÂ
- Short & Long Term DisabilityÂ
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Paid Vacation,Â Holidays, and Personal DaysÂ
- Employee Events, including Employee Appreciation Day, Holiday Party, etc.Â
- Tuition Reimbursement ProgramÂ
Merrick Bank is an equal opportunity employer.Â We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristic.Â
Merrick Bank will do a thorough background check for all hires.Â The EEOC Law poster is available here: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfmÂ Please go to our website www.merrickbank.com to apply and learn more about our company.
AddressSouth Jordan, UT
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Merrick Bank