Founded in 2017, Melanin MeetUps is a national think-platform that shapes the African-American experience and narrative across different vertices for domestic and global impact in Connectivity, Publication, Speaks, Research & Advocacy. Led by monthly meetups to heal and advance the community through ideas, solutions and data; we provide intellectual commentary and profile today’s leading black American influencers, celebrities, luminaries and issues through our online publication, The Narrative; raise funds and advocate for political candidates at a local and state level; and engage with the world through our digital speak-series, Illuminate that highlights compelling ideas from today’s luminaries that shape our community.
Assembled of passionate and intellectual members, our team is passionate about rewriting the narrative for our community and introducing our perspectives and experience to a larger world. We are continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community and advance our global vision -- but above all else, have something to say. Headquartered in LA, we are a proponent of satellite work space to execute our agenda. Join us.
What you will do
Melanin MeetUps is seeking a Social Media Intern! In this internship you can expect to gain:
Hands-on experience with digital and social media channels
Experience working in a fast-paced environment
Develop and hone in your strategic and creative skills
Opportunities to connect with with people who can give you a better understanding of the industry and help you accomplish real goals you can add to your resume
80% of your professional development will be focused on team-focused projects related to our brand growth/development strategy for our vertices across social channels. You'll spend the other 20% of your professional development in networking opportunities, cultivating strategic partnerships for our brand growth/development strategy and final presentations around your learnings and ideas.
This is an unpaid summer internship in our Los Angeles office. There is a minimum time commitment of 15 hrs per week, ideally committing 15-20 hrs per week during June - August. Please note, this internship is available for college credit.
Assist in overall company brand growth/development strategy for growth across social channels
Assist, brainstorm, and execute in follower growth strategy for YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
Assist in finding and sourcing trending viral content for all Melanin MeetUps vertices (memes, videos, gifs)
Schedule, create and develop creative assets for distribution across our multiple social channels
Develop distinct tonal strategy for each social platform
Develop engaging copy for content on social platforms
Compile various social reports to be distributed weekly
Years of Experience: Previous internship experience in an applicable or related field preferred
Other experience: Preferred 1+ year of experience in social media, media and/or digital marketing
Education: Currently enrolled in a four-year college, preferably a rising Junior or Senior
Technologies: Fluent in Canva, Gifs, Microsoft Office (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word), Keynote, Social Media Management technologies (Hootsuite) with some familiarity in Squarespace, SEO
Naturally detail-oriented, with a strong work ethic and proven ability to meet deadlines
Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
Ability to juggle and manage multiple projects and problem-solve
Great organization skills to track campaigns, update spreadsheets and maintain calendars
Must be self-motivated, driven and able to well as part of a team
High-energy, company first, positive attitude: must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment
Work Schedule: Availability to join the Melanin MeetUps team between June – August; preferably weekday mornings (8am to 12pm). (We are flexible - you will have the opportunity to work with the Manager to develop a weekly schedule).
Intellectually curious in, politics, pop culture, tech, celebrity, America, black American culture/history -- and curious about understanding many different sides on critical issues that affect the African-American community, country and/or world
Reads or may have read leading thought publications (The Atlantic, The Economist, Vanity Fair, The New York Times, WSJ, etc.) as well as pop-culture publications (Blavity, Paper Magazine, The Advocate, BuzzFeed, etc.)
Be familiar with trends and rising platforms in social media and tech world
Is familiar with gifs, or trendy social assets
Knows or may know what a think-tank is
Melanin MeetUps is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect, free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.