Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
Med Career Solutions, LLC Spencer, IA
- Posted: over a month ago
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) – Full Time Need in Spencer, IA
Shift/Schedule: Full time 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. 50/50 Inpatient/Outpatient; 40 hours per week
- 8a-12p will be in the inpatient 15 bed adult unit
- 12p-1p lunch
- 1p-5p will be in the outpatient clinic seeing 6-10 patients per day
- Call Coverage: Possibly 1 weekend per month in the call rotation with rounds on the weekend of call. No week-night call.
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) is responsible for providing psychotherapy and medication evaluation and management to a range of patients having mental illness under the supervision of the Psychiatrists of Behavioral Health Service through a collaborative model. The PMHNP is responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating service activities.
- Collaborates with the psychiatrist to make joint rounds on in-patients, allowing the psychiatrist to instruct the practitioner on precise orders and clinical plan. Performs patient histories and physicals, risk factor assessment, ordering therapeutic and diagnostic tests: and attend to consultations.
- Collaborate with the psychiatrist(s) and other PMHNP(s) to provide joint outpatient services on a rotating basis.
- Reviews each in-patient with the psychiatrist and implements the determined plan of care based on discussion. Collaborates with the other health care providers to ensure a comprehensive care plan.
- Communicates the clinical plan and collaborates with nursing staff in carrying out plan.
- Completes medication reconciliation, medication management, and chart review. Develops a clinical plan and documents in progress notes.
- Participates in a multidisciplinary team that provides primary care to the in-patients.
- Consult with psychiatrist on situations that are beyond the scope of practice of PMHNP.
- Provide psychiatric patient consultation to the medical floors and emergency department.
- Assist with psychiatric intake process and emergency department triage of possible admissions to the in-patient unit.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient, family and health care team throughout hospitalization and post-discharge.
- Provides point of care education for the patient and family as a component of our seamless delivery system.
- Documents psychiatric history and physical, progress notes, discharge summaries, and clinic notes for patients of behavioral health services.
- Education: Graduate from an NLN accredited school of nursing or equivalent; with completion of postgraduate masters or doctorate studies as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification for PMHNPs required.
- Credentials Required: Dependent Adult and Child Abuse (DACA) training, BLS, NCI, C3 De-escalation.
- License: An active license as a Registered Nurse within the State of Iowa. Federal and State DEA certification for the state of IA is required.
- Continuing Education: Must comply with State licensure requirements, ANCC certification requirements, and fulfill yearly requirements of the Spencer Hospital and Behavioral Health Services.
- Experience: 4-5 years inpatient/outpatient experience - strongly preferred