I. Position Purpose:
The Construction Estimator plays a vital role in the organization and is responsible for driving revenue growth for the organization. This is accomplished by gathering proposals, reviewing blueprints, specifications, and related documents. In addition, the Construction Estimator will calculate estimated labor, materials, and time requirements in order to be able to compute the overall cost of the project under the guidance of a member of management.
I. Job Responsibilities:
· Prepares estimates for potential projects, using hard-bid, design-build and conceptual estimating.
· Reads and understands contract documents (plans, specifications and addenda.)
· Performs quantity take-offs, organizes and prices information.
· Solicits bids and quotes from subcontractors and suppliers.
· Communicates with subcontractors and suppliers to clarify pricing information.
· Prepares estimate formats in such areas as general conditions, general bidding, quantity take-offs and bid analysis.
· Prepares outline schedules for proposed projects.
· Inputs take-offs into computer spreadsheets or specific estimating programs.
· Obtains pricing for materials
· Assists staff members with various special projects related to estimating.
· Where predetermined standards may not exist, will make best effort to develop estimate.
· Develop and maintain current unit pricing and system pricing.
· Develops and maintains resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, etc.
· Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
· Associates degree in Engineering and/or Construction and 5+ years in an estimating role or
· Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering, or construction management, or equivalent education or experience.
· At least 5 years’ experience in estimating commercial construction projects, showing competence in hard-bid, design-build, and conceptual estimating.
· Excellent working knowledge of PlanSwift, and Excel software.
· Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
· Effective written and verbal skills.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 suite, particularly with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, and MS One Drive.
· Experience with technical writing and contract preparation. Strong typing, spelling, grammar, and formatting skills.
· Familiarity with software like Adobe and Bluebeam.
· Any experience with MS Project, MS Teams.
· Experience with Procore preferred.
· Experience with Construct Connect, or ISQFT is preferred.
Job Physical Demands:
· While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear and taste and smell.
· The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel or crouch.
· The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is sometimes exposed to moving mechanical parts.
· The employee is occasionally exposed to airborne particles or caustic chemicals.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
· Employee may be required to visit outdoor construction work sites for site review and planning meetings.
Note - The above-referenced position summary is a guideline designed to present an overview of job duties and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of responsibilities and requirements.