Information Technology Manager at Science Center
McWane Science Center Birmingham, AL
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The full-time Information Technology Manager will ensure that the McWane Science Center information technology infrastructure operates efficiently, effectively and in line with organizational goals.
The Information Technology Manager is responsible for the management and oversight of the IT department including, but not limited to, networks and servers, all computer related hardware and POS and telephone networks. The Information Technology Manager will build on established technical and operational standards with a focus on evaluating current processes and providing solutions to current operating challenges. This position will provide excellent customer service to all levels. This position will be responsible for maintaining and operating within an established budget. This position will be responsible for a hands-on approach to managing day-to-day operations at all levels ranging from network and service operation to staff service request and hardware replacement.
The Information Technology Manager will be accountable to the direct supervisor, as well as fellow McWane staff.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
1. Coordinate maintenance and reporting of activity on servers and network devices with direct interaction of third-party service provider.
2. Operate within designated budget.
3. Provide direct support to staff in response to help desk and email submissions.
4. Maintain Active Directory: Create, change and delete user login accounts and mailboxes, as requested.
5. Provide active participation in IP phone system infrastructure.
6. Communicate system changes and publish support documents via email to all staff. This is in addition to recording changes within a written standard operating protocol.
7. Manage and maintain equipment inventory and asset configuration documentation. This includes the hands-on building of computers and researching ways to prolong life of current inventory.
8. Monitor daily backup operations, ensuring backup jobs are completed successfully, collaborating with outsourced resources, when applicable, and maintain historical updates and changes.
9. Manage all Help Desk tickets -- assign and document activity on each submission.
10. Provide high level of system troubleshooting, escalate complex issues and implement proper security measures organization wide.
11. Assist, as needed, with after-hours support of infrastructure-related emergencies and system maintenance.
12. Monitor and escalate issues relating to operational equipment, UPS battery levels, storage devices health and data center temperatures.
13. Oversee and perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity, reliability and availability of key systems and devices.
14. Maintain organized work environment and inventory process.
15. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- Up to 3 years of experience as a System Administrator or Network Administrator.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in IT field preferred.
- Certification (MCSE, VCP, etc.) a plus.
- Organized and detail-oriented with strong communication and documentation required.
- Experience working in a small IT department a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of Active Directory.
- Experience with building hardware and ability to stay up-to-date with current IT information.
- Flexible work schedule and off-hour availability, as needed.
- Ability to multi-task in varying projects with positive attitude required.
Minimum Physical Qualifications
1. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
2. Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
3. Must be able to crawl under desks and be able to climb to areas as far as 20’ off the ground.
4. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity.
5. Must be able to operate a computer.
Benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan including company match; paid time off; free membership and movie screenings; discounts in our gift shop, camp program, IMAX theater and food service; and on-site parking.
McWane Science CenterWhy Work Here?
Join our team and help spark wonder and curiosity about our world!
McWane Science Center, a non-profit organization, houses four floors of hands-on science exhibits along with an IMAX Dome Theater and gift shop. Please visit our website at www.mcwane.org! EOE.
200 19th Street NorthBirmingham, AL
TechnologyView all jobs at McWane Science Center