- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
McKissack & McKissack, an outgrowth of the oldest African American-owned architecture-engineering in the country, has a strong reputation for consistently delivering results on high-profile projects for government and private sector clients. As part of the leadership team, this position will enhance people’s lives through the design and construction industry. The culture of the firm leverages teamwork, talent, integrity, fiscal and social responsibility to strengthen the delivery of its mission.
We are seeking leaders that exhibit the attributes of a great team player, Humble, Hungry and Smart:
- Humble: being of little ego; focusing more on their teammates than themselves.
- Hungry: strong work ethic and drive.
- Smart: what they say or do has a positive outcome on those around them
Our Washington, DC office has an immediate opening for a Controller. As the Controller, you’ll have the opportunity to expand the foundation of your career by joining an ENR top-ranked firm. You will be an essential member of the McKissack team by managing the financial operations of the company. This position reports to the VP of Finance and Administration and has both supervisory as well as functional responsibilities. The ideal candidate will be a highly trained accountant who enjoys delving into the details of financial data, systems, and processes, who demonstrates the ability to lead projects and people, and who communicates well both orally and in writing with staff throughout the organization.
- Direct Supervision of the Project Accountants
- Partner with the Management team to identify and implement value-added financial services
- Act as the company liaison with key external partners (audit firms, banks, DCAA or cognizant audit agency and tax accountants)
- Drive process improvement and automation across the accounting function
- Perform month-end close, reporting, consolidation and analysis
- Maintain reconciliations of general ledger accounts and activities
- Coordinate financial audits with outside accountants
- Maintain financial records
- Maintain fixed asset inventory records
Accounts Payable and Bank Management:
- Ensure that all account payables are appropriately processed in a timely manner
- Review monthly expenses and act on variances
- Perform cash management and bank relationship duties
Tax, Analysis, and Compliance:
- Coordinate annual 1099 reporting
- Prepare special reports and financial analyses by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Assure compliance with federal, state, and local financial requirements by keeping current on existing and upcoming legislation; enforcing adherence, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions
- Prepare schedules, as requested by tax accountants
Database Management and Development:
- Act as database functional analyst for company’s project management and accounting database (Deltek Vision); serve as system liaison with internal functions as well as external vendors
- Serve as project manager for system upgrades
- Develop, implement, document and maintain system controls to ensure data integrity
- Partner with IT resources to lead report writing efforts to increasingly improve the value of financial data to the Operating Units
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
- CPA and/or MBA desired
- Five years’ experience with a public accounting or professional services firm
- Expertise in generally accepted accounting principles and policies
- Experience with global financial consolidation desired
- Demonstrated ability to critically evaluate and implement process improvements
- Demonstrated success as an effective supervisor
McKissack & McKissack DC
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at McKissack & McKissack DC