McCormick & Company, Incorporated, a global leader in flavor, is seeking a Lab Technician III. This individual will work at our manufacturing center located in South Bend, Indiana.
With more than $5 billion in annual sales, the Company manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. We create differentiating flavors consumers prefer with unmatched quality, science, innovation and service. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick makes every moment and meal better
As a company recognized for exceptional commitment to employees, McCormick offers a wide variety of benefits, programs and services. Benefits include, but are not limited to, tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, paid holidays and vacations.
Working under the direction of the Quality Manager, the Lab Technician III will be responsible for routine sampling and inspection of incoming raw materials and finished products; basic analytical testing; sensory: and basic SAP transactions. The employee will adhere to safety procedures, ensure a safe work environment, meet and/or exceed product quality expectations, and assist in achieving process reliability goals.
- Audit raw / packaging materials upon receipt to ensure compliance to specification and maintain retained samples as appropriate.
- Test raw and packaging materials for key attributes such as pH, salt, viscosity, density, moisture, oil, particulate, brix, temperature, color, texture, flavor, appearance, dimensional, labeling, and functionality.
- Record test results and information on standardized forms and/or into SAP. Performs appropriate corrective actions for all out of specification results.
- Perform key SAP transactions for inventory such as releasing, scraping, and blocking.
- Maintain files and documentation for specifications, correspondence, complaints, and Certificates of Analysis. Implement new or updated materials for Cancel/Supersedes and FTOs.
- Control non-conforming products through QNs, including segregation of product, sampling of materials, and communication with supplier from initial notification to disposition to corrective action.
- Set up, calibrate, operate, and maintain laboratory equipment, such as refractometer, automatic titrator, pH meter, scale, CEM, colorimeter, Brookfield viscometer, bostwick, and other equipment.
- Use SPC to identify trends, out of control conditions, and non-conformance to specification. Provides and works with the appropriate personnel to correct processes.
- Test finished and in-process products and environmental samples for required attributes, such as pH, salt, viscosity, density, moisture, oil, particulate, brix, temperature, color, texture, flavor, appearance, yeast, mold, coliform, and lactic acid bacteria.
- Audit production line for key quality attributes such as code dates, fill weights, metal detection, and package integrity.
- Sample finished product, in-process product, and materials for retains, microbiological tests, product development requests, corporate requests, and customer requests. Packages and ships samples as necessary.
- Prepare media for microbial testing, including agar, buffer, dilution bottles, swabs, and Petrifilm.
- Inspect product equipment and perform microbiological swabbing to measure cleaning effectiveness.
- Follow detailed procedures and complete paperwork accurately to ensure safe, consistent, and quality product.
- Clean and maintain all laboratory and Quality areas.
- Actively promote safety and identify unsafe actions and conditions through the use of a principle-based safety approach.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement activities.
- Perform other duties as required.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum one-year lab experience or equivalent with an understanding of raw materials, packaging materials, and microbiological testing, required. One-year microbiological testing experience or college level microbiology course required.
- Minimum three years lab experience in a manufacturing environment with an understanding of raw materials, packaging materials, and microbiological testing, required.
- Successful completion of a microbiology training course or college level course within one year, required.
- Minimum one year of college level science courses, required.
- Successful completion of college level biology and chemistry OR a Food Science Certification Course within one year, required.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general technical procedures, statistical data, and instructions, required. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of leaders, co-workers, and suppliers, required.
- Must be able to work with basic algebra and understand and apply basic SPC principles, required.
- Must be able to solve practical problems by collecting data, establishing facts, drawing valid conclusions, and dealing with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists, required.
- Ability to use SAP and other software as required. MS Office experience required.
- Ability to distinguish levels of color, flavor, and aroma to ensure conformance to specification.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds regularly and up to 50 pounds occasionally, required.
- Experience following detailed procedures and completing accurate paperwork required.
- Flexibility to support / train on all three shifts required.
- Experience adhering to and following company, plant, regulatory, and customer standards required.
- Laboratory experience.
- 4-year College degree in a related field.
- Strong computer skills proficient with Microsoft applications, SAP experience.
- One or two years experience in a manufacturing environment, familiarity with McCormick production, areas, products and materials
McCormick & Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As a general policy, McCormick does not offer employment visa sponsorships upon hire or in the future.